*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2279397
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #430646
Actors, actresses, movies, TV -- It's the 'Golden Globe' of Writing.Com! Quill Nominee
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Aug 6, 2011 at 11:13pm
Anyone see The Hunger (1983)?

I'm just curious if anyone has seen "The Hunger" it's an early 80's cult favorite with David Bowie, Catherine Deneuve and Susan Sarandon. It's based on the book of the same name by Whitley Strieber although the ending is different (I've heard) in the book. That reminds me I need to order a copy of that.

Basically, it's a vampire tale where Miriam Blaylock (Deneuve) exists drinking the blood of her lovers. In return her victims don't age until she is done with them. That's what is happening to John Blaylock (Bowie), so his life expectancy plummets and he begins aging at an accelerated rate. Desperately seeking help, he goes to the office of the famous Dr. Sarah Roberts (Sarandon). She doesn't really belive his story though until she sees him a few hours later and he's aged several years worth. That's when she tracks him down and finds teh captivating Miriam.

From the opening scene with the band Bauhaus, the viewer is thrust into what is a very haunting, beautiful (artsy) film that not everyone will find it as fascinating as I did, I'm sure. It's just one of those movies that I absolutely love. The hazy visuals, blowing curtains and classic scenery. The cinematography is just an absolute joy to watch. All the actors/actresses were cast perfectly and although there is death of course, it's not extraordinarily gross or violent. It employs more of the Hitchcock type of dramatic views of blood draining down a porcelain sink, etc.

Just wondered if it had any fans out there who were odd like me. *Wink*

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085701/

A new signature from Kiya's shop. Thank you Kiya!
Logo for Writing.Com Moderators - small.

*Star* Visit the Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative. *Star*
Join me in saving lives.
Youth Suicide Prevention Initiative  [13+]
Social forum to offer support and information to at-risk youth & peers seeking information
by Brooklyn

RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-06-11 11:13pm
by Brooklyn
Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-07-11 10:27pm
by Sum1
Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-08-11 2:49am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-08-11 8:19pm
by Brooklyn
Re: Re: Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-09-11 1:37pm
by Sum1
Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-09-11 6:39pm
by Maryann
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-10-11 12:02am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anyone see The Hunger (1983)? · 08-10-11 10:40am
by Maryann

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2279397