*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2464683
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #430646
Actors, actresses, movies, TV -- It's the 'Golden Globe' of Writing.Com! Quill Nominee
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 25, 2012 at 3:13pm
Edited: November 25, 2012 at 3:20pm
The Hunger Games *Spoilers*
by Fi
If you've read the books but haven't yet seen the movie, go see it. I don't recommend watching the movie without first reading the books. If you have read the books and/or seen the movie, reply to this post and tell me what you think!

Warning: This post may contain spoilers.

I have a love/hate relationship with The Hunger Games, the latest bestseller in YA fiction, by Suzanne Collins. When I first read the books, I didn't quite know what to expect. I warmed quickly to the protagonist, Katniss Everdeen, and enjoyed the plot. I appreciate the intricate world Ms Collins created, although it's not entirely original and in many ways the book reflects the Japanese novel Battle Royale. The writing style is vivid but also...amateur. I could tell the author hadn't quite mastered her own voice, but all the same, Katniss is a good storyteller, and it was a good read.

Although Ms Collins brought across some good themes in her story, which teens can well relate to, I found myself constantly frustrated, as if grasping for something just beyond my reach. In the end, I was left wondering what exactly the author was trying to say – I had an idea, but the themes just weren't brought out as powerfully and masterfully as they could have been. I wanted to rewrite the book and give it more depth.

Anyway, after all that, let me get to my point. So, what prompted this spiel? Last night I watched the movie adaption of the novel...and I must say I was disappointed.

What frustrated me most:

1. The action didn't really start until near the end of the movie. Even then, I felt it was anti-climatic. The suspense builds up to when the Tributes enter the arena, and suddenly it's over before you know it. I didn't feel the adrenaline or suspense half as much as in the book.

2. All the way through the movie, Katniss is admired. To me, this really killed it. Sure, the reader wants to have faith in the protagonist, but what's the fun when you know she's going to win? By the time Katniss was admired or feared by just about every character, and made her stunning appearance in the chariot, and rated one of the best before the Games, it seemed just a matter of course that everyone else should kill each other off (or she would only kill them in self-defence or mercy) and coincidence should render her victor. And this brings me to my next point:

3. Peeta. He drove me crazy. He seemed just another character to fall in love with Katniss, to show how good and brave and caring she is. He came across as weak and reliant on Katniss to win, and at the end when Cato has him in the death lock (and when the rules were changed back to only one winner), it was up to Katniss to save the day (again). The only moments Peeta really shone were when he had his little speech on the rooftop before the Games, and suggested to the Careers that they wait her out (even then he appeared pretty weak and stupid). Which brings me again to another point:

3. The scene where Katniss escapes the Careers by climbing a tree and they set up camp to wait her out – the acting was pretty bad. The Careers looked way too much like actors, or a bunch of teenage kids having fun, instead of the tough, cruel, highly-trained and lethal hunters they were in the book. And why on earth would they curl up and go to sleep when a) someone else could come along and kill them, b) Katniss could escape through some magic means of her own, c) they could burn or chop the tree down, d) or Katniss could throw pinecones at them. (Nah, kidding. *Laugh*)

4. Predictable. Just about every turn in the plot was easily predictable, even in the book. (i.e. Rue was destined to die by the hands of another Tribute, giving Katniss (and the reader) another reason to hate the Games and another chance to prove herself. It was so predictable that the other Tribute from Rue's district would somehow repay Katniss' kind treatment of the little girl.)

5. It reeks of teenage girl fantasy. I understand that it is aimed at a YA audience, specifically, girls, but that's no excuse for being unrealistic. What every teenage girl dreams of: a) everyone admiring her, b) two handsome lovers to choose between, c) some hot guy saving her, d) saving some hot guy, e) being perfect at everything, and I could go on, but I'll spare you. (If you're still reading...I think I may have lost any readers by now!)

6. Again and again and again and again (*gasp*) Katniss repeats the line "It's okay" or "It's gonna be okay". I think she said it more times than all her other lines put together, and every time she said it, it wasn't okay! (And "trust me" *Sick*)

7. The filming. The camera shook around most of the time, to give a sense of urgency and action (esp. when nothing is happening). I'm a fan of this technique – when it's subtle. The only way to make it work is to keep it unnoticed by the viewers. Throughout the whole movie, the camera wheeled and spun and bumped and turned upside down and made me feel sick and headachey, not to mention sore eyes.

All that said, I must say I was impressed by Jennifer Lawrence's performance. She brought Katniss to life, injecting energy into the plot and redeeming an otherwise boring movie. My only problem with her is minor: Katniss is sixteen and Ms Lawrence looks (and is) too old. (Especially in the flashback scenes, when she was supposed to be a little girl!)

Just one last note: I didn't find the movie very violent, perhaps more disturbing. I think they did well in keeping the violence away from the focus of the movie, but it was still pretty boring. Not enough suspense, too much kissy stuff. Wasn't impressed overall and found it a bit boring. I have no other problems with it.

So that's my opinion on the Hunger Games, books and movie. *Smile* Thanks for reading!

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only ** ** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1771385 by Not Available.

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Hunger Games *Spoilers* · 11-25-12 3:13pm
by Fi
Re: The Hunger Games *Spoilers* · 12-03-12 11:00pm
by fobers95

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2464683