*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2527781
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Entertainment · #430646
Actors, actresses, movies, TV -- It's the 'Golden Globe' of Writing.Com! Quill Nominee
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 27, 2013 at 2:31am
An outcry for originality
I look around at the cinema of this day and I am near weeping. It's not a question of quality, because even a terrible movie can have one shining feature and even the best movie has its flaws. It is a question of originality and purpose. Now don't get me wrong, a movie that is made to be bad is fine with me, hell, I enjoy a creature feature now and then, and some comedies didn't need to be made, but they did their job. I'm yammering.
I just want to see some films or even a tv show, that is not only original but also is done without a sense of, how should I put this, douchebaggery? Terrible way to say it but hey, not everything I put to paper can be a gem, something all writers have to face sooner or later. Anyway, what follows is a short list of movies that have sparked my interest because of their odd sense of originality. I didn't include the names of actors or directors in these because I had no knowledge of them going in and I wish the same experience for all of you.
John dies at the end -Do not let the title fool you, nor give you reservations about giving this film a chance. By the title, you can guess it is a comedy but it does have a strong tie into both fantasy and horror. Without giving anything away, the story follows two college drop out friends, John and Dave, as they find themselves smack in the center of a new drug's breakout night. It's better than pot, better than smack or booze. It will take you places that you can't imagine but, be careful, not everyone who returns, returns normal. It's.....soy sauce? I'm gonna say 41/2 stars outta 5.
Heartless - This movie, though a bit on the slow side and, at times, even boring, follows a young man with a heart shaped birthmark on his face, a face he constantly hides behind a camera, never venturing outside of his safety zone. But he yearns to stop seeing the world through a lense and actually experience it. He is willing to do anything, if only for one normal relationship. I have to give this 4 outta 5 due to the pacing issues but if you want a complex story, this movie is for you.
Bad Kids Go to Hell - Once more with the bad title but still, a solid movie for anyone who enjoys their thriller with a comic edge. This is Breakfast club meets I know what you did last summer(I know I know, I said originality but somehow they made it work without it being either movie, even though Judd Nelson guests). The story, told in a bit of a jumbled fashion, can be summed up in but a few words. High school breeds crazy. Five students assigned detention are surprised when the new kid shows up, tossed in by the school shrink for misbehavior. But, wouldn't ya know it, a small dose of eye drops in the adult supervision's coffee gives them a bit more freedom in the spooky new library they ave been locked in. Tension runs high and angst drives the car for most of the characters when they all begin to die from suspicious "accidents". Is it a ploy, some sort of sick gag or plan? Or is the girl with the thick makeup and black candles in her bag for real about the ghost supposedly haunting that very library. 4 outta 5.
Three is all I have in me for tonight but to be honest, this isn't even scratching the surface. I do long for new movies though so anyone who has any suggestions please throw 'em out there. To close, a suggestion. A lot of shows get canceled before they even get started but do yourself a favor. If you like supernatural shows and/or detective shows, find a tv pilot called 17th precinct. An unsung that could've been great.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
An outcry for originality · 05-27-13 2:31am
by Vincent Hunter

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Maryann.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2527781