*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2538192
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1931562
My blog. Sometimes abstruse musings and rants!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 25, 2013 at 5:05pm
Texting Slang
JUNE 4th PROMPT: What tests your patience the most?

I know this might not seem like a big thing to most of you out there but I despise the blatant disregard for the rules of English Language shown by people these days. Making up acronyms, misspelling words, ignoring punctuation completely! I mean seriously get a grip people!

I agree that the function of texts is communication, getting the point across but there is a decent way to do it. We aren't cryptographers trying to decode your texts! How am I supposed to know that (I heard this one a long time ago) 'yew' means 'you'?!? Recently, I came to know that 'uh' also means the same! What the heck is this? How much time are you actually saving by omitting one or two letters? Cases in point being:

be->b
k->ok
yew->you
cal->call
wil->will
tym->time
lyk->like

The even more annoying ones are the ones that don't even look like their original forms: 'ne' is short for 'any', 'der' means 'there'; or using numbers to complete words: ne1(anyone), no1(no one) etc. If the goal is quick relaying of information, this befuddling word of slang, which has been accepted as the norm, is an absolute failure. The time saved by typing lesser number of characters is compensated for by the time spent reading and understanding the message.

I am no saint either. I do occasionally use certain short forms like LOL, 'u', and GN(good night) but that's about it. Really people, typing in before doesn't take much longer than b4 (We are English speakers, not Bingo announcers!). The few seconds you saved while sending texts to people were probably wasted in reading this rant!

C U Latr! (see you later*Wink*!)
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Texting Slang · 06-25-13 5:05pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: Texting Slang · 06-25-13 5:38pm
by Fivesixer
Re: Texting Slang · 06-27-13 9:53pm
by Ԝ€ß☆ԜiʈCH
Re: Re: Texting Slang · 06-29-13 3:38pm
by Christine
Re: Re: Re: Texting Slang · 07-09-13 12:52am
by Annette

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Jack-check out 7YS.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2538192