*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2580748
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1908885
Authors face off through their characters! Follow along & vote each round.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Oct 9, 2013 at 5:37pm
Edited: December 23, 2013 at 7:49am
TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race
by Zelphyr
-| The Prompt |-

Genre: Science Fiction

It took a massive, coordinated effort, not just to take over signals without getting caught, but to do so on such a large scale and with so many translations included, with every bit of it untraceable. Sure enough, though, the smiling image of Domumen, infamous and eccentric criminal mastermind, appeared on screens across the galaxy.

"Hello!" he greeted cheerfully, as his words were translated to every officially standardized language. "I'm Ja Domumen. Forgive the interruption, but I have an invitation! For anyone who thinks they're up to it, anyway. I'd like to see a great race! Not just a little race around a track, no, no."

The image changed to that of a deceptively serene-looking orb drifting through the void. Only a few would be familiar with it - a dangerous planet that had been sitting low on explorers' "to do" list for a couple decades.

"This is a planet with a long and boring alphanumeric name, but a nasty little reputation. I think I'll call it Toby, after my boa. I'd like to see a race around this planet! It'll be done in stages, and I'm sure you all should be ready for the obstacle course of your lives, no matter how lovely your vehicle. And the prize...?"

Again the screen changed, this time showing an enormous orbital laser drill, including footage of it being tested.

"Some of you may have heard about this lovely. Anthera Corporation's latest drill prototype, the one that they, uh... lost recently. Supposed to be able to drill a hole through the middle of a planet! Just imagine what you could do with a thing like that! Or, maybe, how it could be used against you if you're not the one to win it."

Domumen's grinning visage returned to the screen, and he stood there with a flawless suit and welcoming arms. "So, I invite you all to come try. We've set up a station orbiting Toby - just look for the ring. At this station, you can apply for entry. Screening includes a look at whatever resume you decide to bring along and some... exercises. After all, it would be boring if everyone we sent died within an hour!"

"I look forward to seeing you there."

Screens everywhere returned to whatever programming had been interrupted, as if the galaxy hadn't just been taken hostage.

-| Information |-

I've made an effort to leave you with a blank universe to build upon. The technology, the culture, the people - you're free to take it whatever way you want. The tournament does still focus on characters, but making the base setting interesting can still help you get through auditions.

Your audition for the tournament will also be your character's audition for the race. You don't necessary have to be a regular competitor if you really want to do something else, though - just remember that your character will have to somehow interact with others who will be on the planet for the race.

This time, you'll be getting another piece of prompt each round.

Once again, how many rounds there will be depends on how many entries we get. The deadline for auditions is Midnight PST, December 15.

Questions?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 10-09-13 5:37pm
by Zelphyr
Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 10-10-13 3:30pm
by William Fowlkes
Re: Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 10-11-13 8:36pm
by Zelphyr
Re: Re: Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 10-11-13 8:57pm
by William Fowlkes
Re: Re: Re: Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 10-11-13 9:02pm
by Zelphyr
Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 11-22-13 2:44am
by sisterwolf
Re: Re: TOURNAMENT 2: A Deadly Race · 11-23-13 1:02am
by Zelphyr

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elle - on hiatus.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2580748