*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2764663
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1901527
Stalled? We are ready to help you brainstorm your way past your hurdle.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Nov 26, 2014 at 5:50pm
Winner! (Sort of.)
So, I won NaNo. YAY me! Unfortunately, it wasn't with the novel I spent all October planning. Mercutio was just so much easier to dive into. I could get my mind in the right place and my writing style favors the long sentences and elevated speaking style of the characters. Also, each chapter is individually spelled out because we had to figure out which POV would be best for each part of the story.

I also won in that I figured out that Jude is not a character I can do sprints with. His story--or what I could write of it thus far--was never going to be 50k words on its own, because it's part of a greater story. So trying to stretch it out to win NaNo was actually what was making it so hard for me to write all month. Jude is quick, and he doesn't waste time or words. His style needs to be both succinct and erudite, with the eschewing of extraneous detail all the while noticing everything that needs noticing. If that means Jude's solo story line takes only eight chapters, so be it. So I'll be chucking out 75% of what I wrote for NaNo (maybe even more) and rewriting the whole thing.

On the other hand, pretty much everything I wrote for Mercutio is gold, so there won't be much chucking. So...I guess I win in that I have about 25k very viable words and 25k worth of crap that I at least managed to learn something from. Although this month has made me really prone to ending sentences with prepositions, which is a shame.
-Quaddy

*Reading* Check this Out! *Reading*
 The Earth Rising Quartet  (XGC)
Five-hundred years ago, Earth lost its rebellion. Now it's time for it to rise again...
#1837269 by Professor Q

*Down*Come Join In!*Down*
 The Dissolution of Alkonost   (GC)
A desert metropolis falls and magick fails in its seams. Who dares rise to save it?
#1968212 by Professor Q

*ThumbsUp*Great Contest Alert!*ThumbsUp*
 Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#1897404 by Not Available.

Commissioned by my August SA and created by Pixie

"Make music. Break Boundaries. End Hate." Professor Q
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Winner! (Sort of.) · 11-26-14 5:50pm
by Professor Q
Re: Winner! (Sort of.) · 11-26-14 7:02pm
by BrandiwynšŸŽ¶

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2764663