*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2778943
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #102362
Drop your new ideas into the Writing.Com Suggestion Box!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 10, 2015 at 4:39pm
WritingML for Progress Meter?
by Jeff
I've been thinking about keeping a progress meter of my works-in-progress and was looking around this morning for an easy way to do it... and then I remembered how easy it was to update the WdC NaNoCounter. It would be awesome to have the ability to include something like that as a WritingML tag and have it generate a simple visual progress meter on the page. Since not all works are the same length, perhaps it could be a simple percentage where users could type something like, for example, {progress:50} and it would generate a progress bar showing 50% complete.

I think there are a lot of possibilities for integrating this into the site. For example, we could have a space on our portfolio page where we can list what we're working on and how far along we are. I got the idea from Brandon Sanderon's website   which has progress meters at the top right for all of his various projects. He's talked before about how people love to be able to see what stage of the process he's at rather than just waiting for a release date. I thought it might be a fun added feature for WdC members to do the same. So people could check out their friends' ports and see, "Oh, he's almost done with his Dear Me entry" or, "It looks like she's almost done with the second draft of her story, I should ask if she needs a review."

I'm sure there are much more pressing features to work on with the development of the super top-secret P15... but this is something that I think could be a fun way to update other members about how our writing is progressing, and hopefully the NaNoCounter's existence means there's some code already out there that would make development a little easier. *Smile*
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
WritingML for Progress Meter? · 01-10-15 4:39pm
by Jeff
Re: WritingML for Progress Meter? · 01-10-15 5:16pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: WritingML for Progress Meter? · 01-10-15 5:33pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: WritingML for Progress Meter? · 01-10-15 8:43pm
by 💙 Carly

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2778943