*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3001241
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Other · #2016379
Discuss all things relating to writing and genre.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 31, 2016 at 9:15pm
Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World
This is as much a rant as anything question wise, but discovering more n more evidence of how much of a pantser I am has slowly become disheartening, because most writing advice, talk, conversations lean IMO towards, "well everyone ends up an outlner eventually" and other disparaging comments about pantsing.

I'm not the type of writer who loves to write alone, in the middle of the night, mumbling to myself. I love to talk about what new thing a character told me today or new twist in the plot I never saw coming. For my latest WIP, the antagonist POV came to me in a flash about two months ago, and has grown and grown in the weeks since. Backstory, origins, why she does what she does, HOW she does them, etc. etc.. But outlining all that, writing up character bio's... Any of that stuff, just leaves me scratching my head wondering how people make stuff up that way.

Of course unlike most writers, I have some dissociative identity disorder going on, and short answer is, I'm not the part of me that is the writer. I just type what it says.

But it would be nice if there was more things for pantsers to read, people to talk with, then knowing Steven King is a pantser... And... Not much else. The loneliness and silence in this neck of the woods, is very close to making me giving up on writing beyond an "occasional hobby/playground", like I was told back in school for years. Yes, teachers many many times made many snide comments about how retarded my methodology is, and made sure my grades showed their opinion on how my creative side worked.

Apologies, just not many places to "vent" about how isolating being a pantser is in a world run by outliners and hyper organized persons.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 07-31-16 9:15pm
by remusmdh
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-01-16 12:06pm
by Sir Various
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-07-16 9:23am
by KMH
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 08-13-16 4:52am
by Tobber
Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-07-16 4:34pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 10-30-16 7:08am
by Jewell
Re: Re: Re: Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner'... · 10-31-16 4:26pm
by L. Stephen O'Neill
Re: Writing Life of a Pantser in an Outliner's World · 03-09-17 6:35pm
by MaryThornell

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, David the Dark one!.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3001241