*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3071288
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 23, 2017 at 5:21pm
The Big Reveal
Hi guys!

I've just finished the first draft of a New Adult fantasy novel which will probably end up being a trilogy (or at least more than one novel). The main premise is essentially "the chosen one" trope, similar to Harry Potter where the main character is the only one who can defeat the main antagonist. A cliché and a bit over-done, I know, although there is a twist to come in a sequel and it's not the typical good vs. evil plot.

On to my main question, I have a little dilemma when it comes to "the big reveal". I figured that it would be obvious that the MC is "The Chosen One" and I don't want to insult the reader by pretending otherwise, especially as this is a popular trope. The way I've written it in the first draft is that the reader is told from the beginning that the MC is the chosen one, but the MC herself doesn't find out until the end of book 1. So basically the reader knows all along while the characters are trying to figure it out, amongst other action taking place.

As readers, what do you think of this? Do you mind knowing information that the characters don't or do you prefer being kept in the dark and discover things as they do? If the latter, I suppose I could make it less obvious, but as a reader wouldn't you usually jump to the conclusion that the MC is the chosen one as soon as you realise that that is what the premise is?

Thanks for any tips and I look forward to reading your thoughts on this!
Naomi
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Big Reveal · 02-23-17 5:21pm
by AzureOblivion
Re: The Big Reveal · 02-23-17 11:47pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: The Big Reveal · 02-24-17 9:35am
by Steev the Friction Wizurd
Re: The Big Reveal · 02-24-17 1:22pm
by Amyaurora
Re: Re: The Big Reveal · 02-24-17 2:27pm
by AzureOblivion

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3071288