*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3146657
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 1, 2017 at 5:02am
Re: Re: Re: THE CONCLUSION
by Veritas
The problem I have with this discussion is blanket statements like "always be kind and considerate" above all else.

This makes me feel like reviewers like me, who are serious about perfecting their craft, and encourage others to do the same, are discouraged to give critical reviews. Why should I spend an hour writing a review for a piece when the recipient is going to skim it and say "What a jerk!" because I went in depth on what I felt needs work instead of simply saying "I might add more description in the second paragraph but other wise this was perfect?"

Novice to experienced, published writers need to know why and what kind of description is needed in the second paragraph and not just vague ideas. In depth, critical reviews are vital to anyone who wants to submit something for publication. They are vital for people who are learning to write. But all too often I get the feeling critical reviews are dismissed for being exactly that: critical.

I'm not saying I don't highlight positives or that I'm not encouraging. I strive to do both in my reviews. But I don't shy away from the negative either. The good and the bad must be brought to light.

And yes, I do take into consideration my audience when I review. Probably too much. Was the review solicited or unsolicited? Is this an adult or an adolescent? Does this sound like a novice or an experienced author? Is the motivation to re-write the story or does the author just want it out in the world?

So yes, being kind and considerate is important. Keeping the writer of the story or poem in mind, is important. But as KenF said, once the story is out there, you are not in control of how people read it. And if you ask for a review the writer needs to accept that people will review looking to help the writer perfect their writing. None of us are perfect. Our writing isn't either. If you want it published, it needs to be.

And yes, I do spend an hour on reviews.

~Veritas
MESSAGE THREAD
THE CONCLUSION · 11-29-17 10:19am
by Crow
Re: THE CONCLUSION · 11-30-17 3:36am
by Veritas
Re: Re: THE CONCLUSION · 11-30-17 8:14am
by Crow
*Star* Re: Re: Re: THE CONCLUSION · 12-01-17 5:02am
by Veritas
Re: Re: THE CONCLUSION · 11-30-17 9:21am
by Zen
Re: Re: Re: THE CONCLUSION · 11-30-17 11:11am
by KenF

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3146657