*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3269729
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(363)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #303715
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 9, 2019 at 11:32am
Edited: May 10, 2019 at 8:31pm
*Questiono*Number of new messages on Newsfeed?
by ruwth
Y'all may have noticed I have not been around for a while. Real life once again got in the way. I have not looked at either newsfeed for a few weeks. I am wondering what to think about the number displayed indicating new Newsfeed posts.

I noticed two things:

1. It varies from day to day. I noticed this after the number of new messages was greater than 200. I had not paid any attention before but after it was more than 200, I noticed things like one day it might say 214 then the next day it might drop to 201. These are not the specific numbers mind you—only examples. The numbers did not continue to increase but would fluctuate from day to day, sometimes going up but sometimes decreasing. Why does it do that?

2. The other thing is sort of odd: When I logged on today, the number was over 200, which I expected, but when I clicked to post this query and brought up the forum, the number dropped to 39 even though I have not yet visited either Newsfeed. Is that a bug?

Well, this is an added quirk I just noticed: When I previewed this post just now, the number intially changed back to the over 200 number but then without me doing anything, it dropped to 36...

The same thing happened when I clicked "Edit Post" to add these lines before submitting my post. *Confused*

Obviously, this is not a serious matter—it just has me curious and confused so I am posting here to get some clarification...

Hopefully, I will be able to look through the missed messages soon...

Oh, wait a minute. I think I have just realized the reason for the number to vary from day to day: Is it that we only see the last 30 days worth and so once I exceeded thirty days, some other the messages dropped off while others were added so the number being shown for new messages varied each day after that?

That sounds like a likely explanation for that part of my question but still doesn't explain the dynamic switch from over 200 to the number in the thirties that is happening as I write this post.

Look forward to an explanation of this phenomenon.

Thanks in advance!

---ruwth

~ ~ ~ JESUS is LORD! ~ ~ ~
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
*Questiono*Number of new messages on Newsfeed? · 05-09-19 11:32am
by ruwth
Re: Number of new messages on Ne... · 05-10-19 5:14pm
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Number of new messages ... · 05-10-19 6:27pm
by ruwth

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3269729