*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3282755
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jul 23, 2019 at 2:28am
Data Breach
I don't blame Writing.com for this. I've done IT work and it insanely difficult to stay ahead of the bad guys. All the software to run a website is complicated and no one is perfect in testing. There is always someone with the time and resources to pound away at a website's security until they get through. So, it is really only a matter of time before there will be a breach. The experts say (not me) that monitoring and containment is the best plan. Break up your data and spread it around so they will have to breach multiple computers to get it.

Your home security is very important as well. Be paranoid when you are online.

1 Make sure your router firmware is up to date (usually the setup is a modem to connect to the cable line and then a router between the modem and the computers. Your service provider will keep the modem up to date; it is up to you to keep your router up to date.)
2 Make sure your home passwords are complex. (Pick 3 words, 5 to 8 letters. Misspell at least one of them. Replace some of the letters with symbols[!,@,#,$,%,&,*,(,)] or numbers, put numbers between the words. Capitalize the last letter or two. For example, paper, knight, enchilada. papp3R90kn!6H+536en(#!1@DA. In this case, I chose to misspell paper. How do you remember this monster? See #5.)
3 Back up important data (quicken, tax, your writings, etc.) to an external drive that you unplug unless you are actively backing up.
4 Turn off your computer(s) when you are not using them (no one has the capability to break into a computer that is not on, yet.)
5 Have 3 or 4 passwords that you use for online accounts and use something like Bitwarden to manage them.
6 Don't pass files back and forth to your coworkers or friends in an email; use something like Dropbox.
7 If an email is from someone you don't know, do not open any attachments.
8 If someone has a cute video, tell them to put it up on Youtube.
9 Don't install any apps for your phone from any place but the legitimate outlets (Playstore, Apple's store, Amazon.)
10 Do not click on any add with scantily clad people in them!
11 Don't click on 'Clickbait'.

If you want to avoid being tracked through the internet, use the Firefox browser and the DuckDuckGo search engine. It's not perfect but it is a step in the right direction. Using a VPN is even better.

Now, it looks like someone has posted a bunch of poorly worded stories with bad punctuation and grammar into my account. It's going to take a while to tell them apart from my own work.

Good luck and keep writing,
Dirque
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Data Breach · 07-23-19 2:28am
by Espinado
Re: Data Breach · 07-23-19 3:00am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Data Breach · 07-23-19 12:02pm
by Vagus
Re: Re: Data Breach · 07-23-19 12:45pm
by Espinado
Re: Re: Re: Data Breach · 07-23-19 1:10pm
by Vagus
Re: Data Breach · 07-24-19 7:06am
by Zen
Re: Re: Data Breach · 07-24-19 2:09pm
by Espinado
Re: Re: Re: Data Breach · 07-24-19 5:45pm
by Zen
Re: Re: Re: Re: Data Breach · 07-24-19 8:25pm
by Espinado

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3282755