*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3333536
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 23, 2020 at 8:09am
Re: What worries me ...
by Zen
The virus is continuously evolving. They can already hone in on patient zero in any specific outbreak just by examining the DNA (or the viral equivalent) of the virus from each patient.

To put covid-19 into perspective, it's no more dangerous in itself than the usual gamut of corona virii that sweep around each year. What makes this one so dangerous is how infectious it is, causing healthcare systems to be overloaded. That, in turn, means that people who would normally be in a dangerous condition (from the virus) but able to respond to treatment, might die for lack of treatment. This is why we are told to sanitize and isolate, so the virus doesn't spread as fast and allowing the healthcare system to cope.

Interestingly, we are seeing unnecessary panic buying of basic stuff. It took me a week to be able to buy a loaf of bread or a bottle of milk, despite there only being seven confirmed cases of infection in the county. People are worried the food chain (distribution) will collapse. The knock-on effect to the economy (local, national and world) is going to be harsh. Isaac Asimov had it right: as individuals we can be sane, but as large groups we behave in predictable and insane ways.
MESSAGE THREAD
What worries me ... · 03-22-20 10:19pm
by A Non-Existent User
*Star* Re: What worries me ... · 03-23-20 8:09am
by Zen
Re: Re: What worries me ... · 03-23-20 8:14am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: What worries me ... · 03-23-20 4:26pm
by edgework
Re: Re: What worries me ... · 03-23-20 4:32pm
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Re: What worries me ... · 03-25-20 7:06am
by Vagus

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3333536