*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3387322
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 25, 2020 at 4:06am
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV
by Zen
I've been busy building things with Raspberry Pi's, some for fun and some to complement my writing. If you don't know, a Raspberry Pi is a computer the size of a credit card, and costs about £34.

I started with a clock that tells the time anywhere on Mars, that is skinnable and can display information on past missions that made it to the surface. It is self-correcting, monitors leap second adjustments and automatically updates when a new mission lands. You can see screen shots and a detailed explanation here: https://philip-p-ide.uk/doku.php/blog/articles/raspberry/phys_marsclock/pi_marsv...

Next I made a Pi-Hole (ad-blocking device), followed by a NAS so I could put some disks on the network. I put all my music on one of them, and built a music centre that can pipe the music to my surround-sound system via fibre-optic cable.

Next I made a cron server, which logs onto various NASA servers at intervals and fetches down data, then processes the data before uploading it to my website.

While all this was going on, I began building a laptop computer, out of a Raspberry Pi and a pizza box (I got an unused one from the local pizzeria). Every component costs less than £35 (Pi and power management module were exceptions to this rule - the Pi costs £84 and the PMM costs £54), and it was built to run for 30 hours straight on batteries.

I use SyncThing to emulate DropBox/OneDrive, synchronising both my desktop and laptop to the NAS. After adding a VPN so I can access my home network from anywhere with an internet connection, I then set about finding good writing software that worked seamlessly on both Windows (my desktop) and Linux (the laptop).

I settled on creating a DokuWiki wiki-farm, whereby I can create as many wiki's as I like, with each wiki being a new writing project. DokuWiki stores the wiki page data in regular text files, so it is very easy to backup and restore. As a wiki, it also gives me the ability to roll-back to any previous version of a document. After adding a tree-view plugin, I can create (and visually see) a novel broken down into chapters and scenes, research and notes.

On the laptop, I have also created an offline version of the wiki (using SyncThing) that allows me to work outside the home when access to an internet connection isn't available.

Finally, I added a DLNA server to my music system, so I can stream my music (all 33,000 tunes) to any suitable device anywhere in the world - as long as I can make that all important VPN connection.

I've just come into a little money so I'm currently upgrading the pizza box to an aluminium briefcase (like a camera case but slimmer), and upgrading the 10" screen to a 15". More pixels means more power, so the batteries won't last as long, but with 30hrs of runtime I think I've got a bit of slack.
MESSAGE THREAD
Indoor activities besides watching TV · 11-24-20 6:30pm
by Angelica- Happy May 5th!
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 11-24-20 8:50pm
by Cubby
*Star* Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 11-25-20 4:06am
by Zen
Re: Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 11-25-20 5:33am
by Vagus
Re: Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 12-19-20 4:05am
by Zen
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 11-29-20 8:30pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 12-18-20 2:55pm
by Allister Sean
Re: Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 12-18-20 10:22pm
by BoB_618
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 12-19-20 8:46am
by Dave
Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 12-22-20 4:14pm
by Past Member 'bobturn'
Re: Re: Indoor activities besides watching TV · 01-03-21 1:03pm
by Lucinda Lynx

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3387322