*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406138
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 1, 2021 at 1:52am
Re: How Editing Do
by s
The way I go about editing is:

First, I put the piece away long enough to forget it. Because I am always writing, it takes me about a month to forget a short story because I have written so much more that it just becomes a part of the blur. For a novel, I deliberately wait at least 3 months, but with other things in life, it can be as long as six months. Then I go back to the story and I look at it like a reader because I have forgotten the details. That way I pick up on continuity errors, character mistakes, where it slows down too much, where there is not enough explanation, etc. It is also easier to see grammar, punctuation errors with the value of distance. Then it gets given to a beta reader, and I trust them as to what works and what does not.

A friend of mine who is also a published writer does her editing with the work in a different font. She types in Times New Roman, but edits in a sans serif font (Arial, for example). She also edits for grammar, punctuation, etc. backwards, starting at the last chapter. That way the story does not cloud her mind.

Another friend (a self-published author) will not do any editing until she has feedback from an alpha reader. Then she does edits all over the place (especially a lot of rewriting) and then gives it to her beta readers (she has more than one; I am one of them) and we give it a going over. She takes harsh criticism really well, and her books, when finished, are amongst the better self-published works I have come across (and, no, that's not me being biased - my ex thinks the same thing).

So, yes, as you said, it is individual to each writer. You need to find what works for you and don't be afraid to change your methods. If something stops working, try something else.

As to where to start - from page one with no preconceived ideas. Judging by your exasperation as expressed - I might recommend you do a page a day to start with. That way you do not overdo it and the frustration is potentially lessened.

And this is one idiot's opinion; feel free to ignore it.
MESSAGE THREAD
How Editing Do · 03-01-21 1:33am
by AskMyName
*Star* Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 1:52am
by s
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 3:21am
by AskMyName
Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 5:24am
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 6:28am
by s
Re: Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-02-21 4:11am
by Past Member 'northernwrites'
Re: Re: How Editing Do · 03-01-21 12:46pm
by AskMyName

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406138