*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406863
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 3, 2021 at 1:48pm
Suggestions - Please
I actually feel quite embarrassed, amateurish, dumb and inexperienced on admitting to this. I am stuck on which genre my WIP fits into, and I know the importance of knowing this fact. I have been working on this version of my story that has mutated several times since November. I have been gathering my research, characters, set tings, conflicts and my "what ifs." It seems to be a combo of action/adventure, mystery, crime, detective, cultural, drama, history, and modern western. I know I need to pick something because each genre sets the mood and tone of the story and has its own set of obligatory scenes and convention. Here is what I wrote about it last night to help me focus. It is not polished, a blurb, a premise or theme. I didn't know what else to do except ask other writers.

Title: Blood Law

I want to write a story about the survival of an Indian Reservation and its old ways of life before the “White Man” within a “White Man’s” world. The Indian people are very proud people and had a way of life that existed with honor. The Cherokee Tribe was divided into 7 clans. Each clan had a duty to perform that benefited the tribe as a whole. There were laws that had to be obeyed in order to keep the balance of life. Among them was The Blood Law which actually was to have been abolished in the early 1800's. This is to be a story about a young man who had forsaken his heritage only to be brought full circle by an Indian woman he has fallen in love with. It encompasses and he experiences the death of his father and his cousin for the sake of “the old way of life and law and order,” as well the death of his uncle who tried to protect it.
The Cherokee keep a secret way of the old life style while they put on pretenses for the “White man’s World.” It is governed by a secret Tribal Council from a remote place. When this Reservation and Secret Society become threatened, Chris Elliott, a retired Bounty Hunter, is called upon to track his cousin for murder and save the Cherokee Nation because of the reactivation of The Blood Law. Because of his own feelings and short-comings, he is reluctant to accept the challenge, but it is his guilt that moves him forward.

Any suggestions and help would be deeply appreciated.
Thank you,
Kristina
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Suggestions - Please · 03-03-21 1:48pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: Suggestions - Please · 03-03-21 5:50pm
by s
Re: Suggestions - Please · 03-03-21 6:46pm
by A Cassandra.
Re: Suggestions - Please · 03-04-21 9:09pm
by Cubby~Cheering House Florent!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3406863