*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3422868
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
May 17, 2021 at 11:05am
Re: Soul
by Vagus
Non-religious sort here. But the closest I can get to describing a soul is to call it data. It is the accumulation of your physical experiences and exposures here on earth. Memories, feelings, impulses, sensory coding. How you feel when someone brushes your arm. All of that was learned through a homosapiens genetic/phenotypic bias. By that I mean a mouse might interpret our world differently.

I think it is clear that a large part of that data is maintained internally (electrochemically) and lost when the body dies. The immortal part, as silly as it sounds, comes from the continuity of our species. Parts of you live on in other peoples minds for a time. You've heard of the phrase "rent free, 24/7." That little piece of you is inside someone's head, laughing when they see something you would've found funny, resurfacing occasionally to remind them of something you would've said. The immortal aspect diminishes/dilutes over time, but who knows, maybe a great great grand child smirking at some random thought is that little surviving piece of you.

My $0.02
MESSAGE THREAD
Soul · 05-02-21 9:50am
by ☮ The Grum Of Grums
Re: Soul · 05-02-21 10:03am
by s
Re: Re: Soul · 05-02-21 11:33am
by A Cassandra.
*Star* Re: Soul · 05-17-21 11:05am
by Vagus
Re: Re: Soul · 05-25-21 4:57am
by ☮ The Grum Of Grums
Re: Soul · 05-29-21 2:50pm
by A Cassandra.
Re: Soul · 06-10-21 12:17am
by A Non-Existent User
Re: Soul · 06-10-21 4:46am
by TheMartian

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3422868