*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3462110
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing · #1901527
Stalled? We are ready to help you brainstorm your way past your hurdle.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Nov 4, 2021 at 10:48am
Need Help Boosting Word Count?
If you need help boosting your word count, check out the NaNo thread that addresses exactly that.

https://forums.nanowrimo.org/t/dirty-tricks-to-increase-word-count/51810

You may not agree with every idea, but there are nearly 200 posts on that thread with many of them having several ideas, so surely you can find some ideas that you like. You might even find an idea or two that actually enhances your story. *Wink*

My #1 idea for getting word count is to write the same scene multiple times. I do it on different days because I have a bad memory and can't remember what I wrote last time. I just know the main point of the scene. Then, after I've written the same scene several times (over several days), I end up with a lot of options to use to make the final scene a much stronger scene in December or January when I have time to really sit and think about it. I can pick and choose the best parts of each scene for the final cut. And I often have good parts I like from one attempt that don't fit in the final version, but that can be used in other scenes to make them better or sometimes they actually inspire a whole new scene. For me, this really improves my final draft. *Smile*

Some other ideas include...

1. Have a character give a sermon or lecture--this can even be 1 character lecturing another on why they should or shouldn't do something. You could also have a character giving a motivational speech to another character or group.
2. Write a character's daydream or actual dream. They can also tell someone else about what they dreaming or daydreaming about. These could even turn into foreshadowing for your story.
3. Discuss the history of a place they are or talk about customs or the history behind customs in your story.
4. In real life, we don't talk about only "our plot." Have your characters show themselves and become more rounded with discussions about their opinions on the news, politics, childrearing, etc. They can talk about what happened at work or school. They can describe a hope they have for the future or explain some part of their past that helps their present situation or behavior make more sense.
5. Include your own comments about scenes and ideas. I put them in parentheses and highlight them so I don't get confused, but if I'm writing and realize the characters are loading the body into the truck, but I never mentioned them getting it over there, I write something like, "(forgot to mention they have to get the body over to the truck in the last scene)" and highlight it so I can go back and do that later. It adds to my word count, but also makes sure I don't have holes that I later don't notice, but that readers do. I might also include things like, "(this is a stupid idea for how the farmer dies so come up with a better one later)" and that tells me what I need to do, but also contributes to my word count. I also don't sit there wasting time for 45 minutes trying to come up with a better way for the farmer to die. I can think about that while in traffic or at work or other times I can think, but not write.

There are tons of ideas on that thread, so even if you don't like the ones I've posted, I suggest reading the first 25 posts. If you find nothing of use, at least you gave it a good try, but I bet you do. *Wink*

And be sure to check out my challenge

FORUM
The Contest Challenge  (13+)
Join by entering a contest a month for 12 months--Win Badges! Catching up is allowed!
#2109126 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

and my contest

FORUM
The Whatever Contest -- Closed for Now  (13+)
This irregular contest will change each round. Nature poem? Horror story? Whatever.
#2232242 by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

Reviewed by U.S. Army Ret. Schnujo at the Witch's House
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Need Help Boosting Word Count? · 11-04-21 10:48am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, BrandiwynšŸŽ¶.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3462110