*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3537854
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Other · #710633
Members help other members with non-technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:36am
Edited: December 14, 2022 at 3:34pm
Re: Private versus Do Not Share?
Greets,

Access restrictions control access to view the item itself in your portfolio. A private item can not be viewed in your portfolio, nor can the Image Item itself be viewed. However: Using WritingML to show the image WILL override that privacy setting.

This applies only to images (and photos in albums) as the use case is usually that people make an image item private and still use the image, they just don't want people to access the image item; things like sigs, for example, make use of this functionality.

I'm thinking that Private makes the image unviewable to anyone; example: posting this image on the Newsfeed would give members an error saying something about them not having access to the image.

Just to reinforce my answer above, this is NOT correct and private images are not "unviewable" (double negative = they are viewable) if you used WritingML to show the image.

"Image Sharing" (which relates only to Image Items) determines whether OTHER MEMBERS can use that image in their own WritingML tags. If sharing is allowed, other people may use the image in their own WritingML - which could include in posts, email, items, etc etc.

If you allow sharing, the access restrictions do not matter in terms of other people's use of the item. For example, if you have a private item that allows sharing, people can't view the Image Item itself, but others can share the image via WritingML.

An example of a shared image would be the RAOK sig in my signature below. That image is in Writing.Com Support 's portfolio but anyone is allowed to use it via the Image Sharing setting.

Hope this helps,
~~SM

The Storymaster Sig II. Merit Badge in Mystery
[Click For More Info]

*^*Shock*^* Has it really been 15 years that this site has been running? That's amazing, and it's all because of you! *^*Heart*^* I'm proud to be a part of this great community. *^*Bigsmile*^* This whole week is going to be a mystery as to what you're going to reveal each day. I'm excited!
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
FORUM
Technical Support Forum  (13+)
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
#303715 by Writing.Com Support
MESSAGE THREAD
Private versus Do Not Share? · 12-14-22 10:29am
by buddhangela's Wounded Not Dead
*Star* Re: Private versus Do Not Share? · 12-14-22 11:36am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Private versus Do Not Share? · 12-14-22 12:40pm
by buddhangela's Wounded Not Dead

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3537854