*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3539201
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Other · #1848419
Free, honest, and in-depth reviews.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Dec 23, 2022 at 7:37pm
Re: Re: Re: Review Request: The Coalition
Got it. Like Animal Farm. Some of Poul Anderson's fiction includes xenofiction, where space aliens are creatures involved.

As to point #4, the trick to adding intimacy usually is to put the readers inside the POV character's head. The easiest way to do that is with internal sensations that only the character can sense. The *challenge* here is that Kai's internal sensations will be those of a cat, not a human. So scent will play a big part--a world of smells. Dean Koontz in Dragon Tears has a couple of chapters from a dog's POV--I've even done that in "The Hounds of Hollenbeck." You might glance at one of these books for ideas on showing scents.

Cats' whiskers also a part of their suite of sensations. Of course, they have more whiskers than just the ones on their muzzles.

I just read the Wikipedia article on cat senses--you might glance at it for ideas. Cats have olfactory organs in their mouths as well as their noses, which is why they sometimes gape at you with their toungues sticking out--they're smelling you with the organ in their mouths.

Apparently cats also are unable to taste sweet things, something different from almost all other mammals. It might be why cats evolved as carnivores, since sweetness is one of the things that make plants attractive food. I'm not sure how you'd put that in a story, but anything that gives insight to their sensations helps.

Dogs are pack animals, which is one reason that they bond with humans--there's a natural tendency to submit to the pack leader. Feral housecats are solitary creatures, and so housecats don't have "submit" instinct. Their independence is one of the things cat owners love about them, of course. But plains cats, like lions and cheetahs, do live in cooperative groups, so the innate psychology is different. I don't know if it it's similar to wolf packs or not. If it is like wolves, then members of the group might not second-guess the pack leader, unless he planned a challenge.

For another thing, Kai's fur might fluff out when he's challenged, so that's another sensation to think about.

You probably already know all this. My advice is to find ways to add *sensations* to Kai's world and to tie sensations to emotions. YOu've already embedded things like paws (no tails, as I recall), so you're already thinking about this kind of thing. You might have him rotate one of his ears when he hears something (cat's ears are independently movable, of course).

If you this idea is worth trying, why don't you make a few additions along the line I mentioned?

I wouldn't overdo this--it needs to flow naturally and not look forced. BUt then, this is already a polished piece, so I'm sure you know this. Why don't you try adding a few internal sensations for Kai and then ask me to look at a revised copy?

I'm kind of rambling...sorry. Hope this is helpful!!

Max

Max Griffin
Please visit my website and blog at
https://new.MaxGriffin.net

Check out most recent release!
ASIN: B0B3J7HV2M
Product Type: Kindle Store
Amazon's Price: $ 6.99
MESSAGE THREAD
Review Request: The Coalition · 12-23-22 9:38am
by Past Member 'angelion'
Re: Review Request: The Coalition · 12-23-22 11:56am
by Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈
Re: Re: Review Request: The Coalition · 12-23-22 1:01pm
by Past Member 'angelion'
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Review Request: The Coalition · 12-23-22 7:37pm
by Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Max Griffin 🏳️‍🌈.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3539201