*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3589085
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #101136
Bugs are evil nasty critters that get into the site and break it; Help us exterminate!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 27, 2023 at 3:06am
Re: Re: Re: Re: MBs in Wrong Order in Game
I just updated my response with some additional info... but I think it crossed with your reply, so I'm re-replying to be sure you see it! *Bigsmile*

----------------------------------------------------

Ah ok. Now I understand the confusion. We're working in the game with literal lexicographic alphabetizing.

In "The Godfather", "T" is the literal correct letter to use.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alphabetical_order
The and other common words
If a phrase begins with a very common word (such as "the", "a" or "an", called articles in grammar), that word is sometimes ignored or moved to the end of the phrase, but this is not always the case. For example, the book "The Shining" might be treated as "Shining", or "Shining, The" and therefore before the book title "Summer of Sam". However, it may also be treated as simply "The Shining" and after "Summer of Sam". Similarly, "A Wrinkle in Time" might be treated as "Wrinkle in Time", "Wrinkle in Time, A", or "A Wrinkle in Time". All three alphabetization methods are fairly easy to create by algorithm, but many programs rely on simple lexicographic ordering instead.

While yes, in a library, or perhaps DVD shelf you MIGHT find "The Godfather" under "G", you also might find it under "T". *Smile*

So officially and for simplicity, please consider our little game to be using the lexicographic alphabetical order. *Bigsmile*
That is to say that if it literally starts with a "T", it's literally going to need to be placed based on that "T"... regardless of what the word following it is.

I looked at adding some text like this to the game, but it seems overly convoluted and a lot of extra reading... So I'm going to just leave it as is and reference back to this post should someone bring it up as a bug again. *Heart* *Bigsmile*

Hope this makes sense!
~~SM

The Storymaster Sig II. Merit Badge in 2020
[Click For More Info]

IN HONOR OF THE
 GREAT SHORTAGE OF 2020
🧻

KEEP   
CALM
AND
WRITE
ON!
*^*QUILL*^*
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
FORUM
Technical Support Forum  (13+)
Members help other members with technical questions and problems using Writing.Com!
#303715 by Writing.Com Support
MESSAGE THREAD
MBs in Wrong Order in Game · 09-25-23 10:02am
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister
Re: MBs in Wrong Order in Game · 09-26-23 5:25pm
Re: Re: MBs in Wrong Order in Game · 09-27-23 2:46am
by The StoryMaster
Re: Re: Re: MBs in Wrong Order in Game · 09-27-23 3:05am
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: MBs in Wrong Order in Game · 09-27-23 3:06am
by The StoryMaster

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3589085