*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3601294
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Message Forum · Writing · #2305951
Give me your thoughts and input on my stories and books and share your views on writing.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Nov 14, 2023 at 10:34pm
What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Writer?
I was on another writing site several years ago. There were a few writers who frequently shared their thoughts about their skills as a writer. They had never been published but often claimed that talent scouts were contacting them about their posted works. This is a partial quote, as I can remember it from one of them: “I feel I have moments of pure brilliance.”

That is pretty over the top, but It highlights a fundamental difficulty for anyone trying to evaluate themselves as a writer. No one can look at themselves objectively. It’s simply not possible. Most people are either too harsh or like this colleague, blind to your weak spots.

In my opinion, the best option is to focus on objective measures of your improvement and not a measuring stick against others. A list of some of my goals.

• Meet productivity goals and then raise the bar.
• Address constructive feedback from WDC reviews.
• Enter contests, without entry fees. (I think the ones with fees are money-making scams, opinion)
• Submit work for traditional publication. Keep doing it until you get something accepted. Then raise the bar for more acceptances.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Writer? · 11-14-23 10:34pm
by Damon Nomad
Re: What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Writer? · 11-15-23 2:31am
by s
Re: Re: What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Wri... · 11-15-23 2:47am
by Damon Nomad
Re: What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Writer? · 11-17-23 5:19pm
by Spring in my Sox
Re: Re: What is the Best Way to Measure Yourself as a Wri... · 01-06-24 4:23am
by s

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Damon Nomad.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3601294