*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3613858
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 15, 2024 at 11:28pm
Re: I have a question
Hmmm... That can be difficult. I definitely don't recommend having the whole story end up just as a dream. It can be a questionable start for some readers but we also can't please everyone.

I would say, as long as you have some way to distinguish when you do make the change from dream to the rest of the story, it will be okay. Italics can help because they indicate something different is happening but there are other ways to do that. We just need to have a way besides at random, the next paragraph being like: "Then she woke up and fell off the bed. It was only a dream." It would work in a way but you want to surprise a little but not jar the reader to the point they end up put off by the shift.

I understand your struggles, too. Have a YA book that starts with a scene from a novel because the main character is reading a romance book, which is a big part of the story since it's called "boys don't read romance" but have to make sure the transition and existence makes sense.
MESSAGE THREAD
I have a question · 01-15-24 9:12pm
by Chrys O'Shea
Re: I have a question · 01-15-24 9:14pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: I have a question · 01-15-24 9:44pm
by s
Re: I have a question · 01-15-24 10:53pm
by Roseille ♥
*Star* Re: I have a question · 01-15-24 11:28pm
by Dawn Embers
Re: I have a question · 01-16-24 8:30am
by The StoryMistress
Re: I have a question · 01-16-24 5:14pm
by Cubby~Cheering House Florent!

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3613858