*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3616736
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(108)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #1949474
Motivate yourself to conquer your goals this week! Post on Monday; update us on Friday!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 29, 2024 at 7:58am
Updates: Goals Achieved, Targets Missed (2024.01.27)
by Tobber
This was another weird writing week. Mostly, that's because that while I did hit all my major goals, hindsigt turned that victory on its head. Also, I'm late with the update. Though, that's mostly on purpose. I had meant to do it Sunday instead of Friday, because I expected to be writing at least a little in the weekend, but then, yeah... I explain below.

*BoxCheck* Finish first round edits on my Danish science fiction story:
The first of the weeks Pyrrhic victories. All right, Pyrrhic is perhaps too much, but while I did end up finishing the first draft of the story I want to submit to the annual Danish SF&F anthology, I wasn't all that happy with the result. I still think the premise is good, and the core of the story is useable too, but even as I was starting that final scene, I realized that the story has a lot of issues I need to fix before I want that out on submission.
While there are multiple scenes, they all take place in the same monotonous location. The plot also progresses with very little escalation of tension or variation to the opposition the MC faces. The result is a story with very little variance throughout. I will probably need to add at least one scene and change one or two of the existing ones.
The good news is that I do have a pretty solid for that first extra scene, so I still hope the story will turned out to be useable.

*BoxCheck* Two part goal; start working on Danish horror short story:
I did achieve this goal which consisted both of outlining a story based on a horror premise I had floating around the back of my mind and start writing that story. It was an idea I very much wanted to write in Danish for once, which was perfect because I was already in the mindset of writing in Danish because of the SF&F story mentioned above, and because there was a rare call from website for a few Danish short stories with actually decent payment for the selected stories.
All well and good. It even turned out that I had already done most of an outline for the story when I first had the idea but somehow forgot about that. So, part one done. But only as I was finishing the first scene did I realize that I had somehow completely missed that there was a prompt for the submission call which does not fit with my story at all.
The good news is that there is a thriving community for Danish horror publishers (unlike Danish SF/F) including at least one semi-regular magazine, so I will have a place to submit the story once it's done. Though, I not sure I will bother trying to write to the prompt for the other website or return to editing my Danish SF&F story and then writing in English right away.

*BoxCheck* Write every day:
I'm going to count this one as a success. This goal was the main reason why I postponed posting this weeks goals, wanting to push myself to write during the weekend. And I did. Or, I did write a little Saturday. Then the whole house got sick Sunday evening, and I ended up going to bed waaaay early without a word written.

*Box* Do a WYRM review: I missed this one. I don't really have any excusses other than work being busy and this being low on the list.

*Box* Do a Codex review: Same thing here. No review done a low priority.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Updates: Goals Achieved, Targets Missed (2024.01.27) · 01-29-24 7:58am
by Tobber

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, The StoryMistress.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3616736