*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3623144
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 18, 2024 at 9:31am
Edited: February 18, 2024 at 9:32am
The Introduction, and introducing concepts
First of all, thanks for the feedback about fiction vs non-fiction from message #3621717. I have decided to go forth and keep it a non-fiction autobiography with disclaimers.

Now the subject at hand is about what to include in the introduction and how to introduce certain subjects. I have a rough draft first manuscript that has been read by a couple of people and they all agree that it is confusing in the beginning. They have said it is primarily because they do not initially understand the issues, concepts, and jargon surrounding dissociative identity disorder, DID, which is a central part of the book since it a central part of my life and story. I thought I had done a pretty good job explaining it but obviously fell short. I know that having lived something it is difficult to write about it from an inexperienced point of view.

I have added a glossary at the end to cover this and several other issues. My story includes the central theme of DID but also has addiction and transgender issues, so I felt the glossary needed from the start.

I have added to the introduction with quotes and summaries with citations that may help.

Also, I had narratives that have been written by the dissociated personalities scattered throughout the book and have moved them all into appendices at the back as well.

So, my questions are:

Should I try to tackle the whole confusion issue in the introduction?

Should I rely more on appendices and glossaries?

Has anyone else written about DID and how did you handle introducing the reader to the concepts?
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Introduction, and introducing concepts · 02-18-24 9:31am
by Wanda Jane
Re: The Introduction, and introducing concepts · 02-21-24 10:23pm
by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3623144