*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3634430
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 26, 2024 at 11:26am
advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult novel
Hello everyone, it's been a while since I've been on here. I've started and stopped writing a few different stories since then, and now I've started on another. LOL. This one is an adult fantasy romance, and I keep getting stuck on the prologue. I've written and deleted it so many times that I've moved beyond being frustrated and now I just wanna bang my head against a wall, repeatedly, before just trashing the whole story idea.
So, here's the deal.. I'm trying to start off my story (3rd person POV) in the past when my heroine is six years old, but everything that I've been writing sounds either, too adult, or kind of dumbed down.

Here's a small excerpt:
(but first a small bit of context. The heroine is an unwanted princess, her parents were never really kind to her. And now she's turning six years old and like a wish come true, her parents are finally doing something special for her birthday. They're taking her on a special trip, except they're actually taking her to a supposedly cursed forest to abandon her. And the heroine is an empath and knows something isn't right. FYI- in my fantasy world having special abilities is something out of a child's story and not believed in, at least not where the heroine lives)

Then, there was no more time to wonder or ask questions, because of one of the castle's servants arrived and quickly ushered Sola to the Royal Carriage, where her mama, the Queen of Hav Assari, was impatiently waiting.
Once the sun came up, Sola had tried real hard to ignore all the stuff that leaked out of the people, and animals around her, so that she could enjoy the journey. After all, there was so much for her to see. They'd passed by villages, and dark, rich fields where people tended to the rows of young crops. She saw herds of sheep, cows, and horses, and even a herd of deer drinking from the shore of a glassy lake in the distance.

Do you see what I'm saying? Are using words like, ushered and impatiently too adult for a six year old's POV? Is the rest of it too dumbed down to read well?
This is driving me a little nutty, and I'd really appreciate any tips and suggestions that you guys are able to share. Thanks!!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult novel · 03-26-24 11:26am
by crazycatnbooklady
Re: advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult n... · 03-26-24 2:20pm
by ruwth
Re: advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult n... · 03-27-24 1:51am
by Ashok Banerjee
Re: advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult n... · 03-27-24 5:43am
by Zen
Re: advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult n... · 03-27-24 11:33am
by Joy
Re: advice wanted: writing in a child's POV in an adult n... · 04-09-24 8:30am
by Princess Megan Rose GOT Fox

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3634430