*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3635699
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Mar 31, 2024 at 1:55am
Story Idea Needing Feedback
Hey, I've been considering writing something called "Reflections", a story somewhat involving some emotions and fears of mine. I could go extremely in-depth on the plot, but I'll keep it simple enough to read in a minute or two at most. Just lemme know what y'all think, and what I could add/remove from the general plot!

Peter's life changed as a child when he experienced a severe car crash at the age of 12, witnessing the death of his parents- the only family he ever knew -and obtaining a severe wound to his left side in his abdomen. He had no other family trustworthy enough to foster him, so he was put in the system and given a new family. However, this family is abusive, and uses him for the benefits.

He remains quite lonely at this school, never speaking to anyone or sticking out in fear that his life would get worse, as he's convinced the universe is practically against him. He's almost certain he has dissociative fugue- a disorder that causes him to disassociate for some time and wake up in unexpected places -often running during these episodes as running is his only coping mechanism during the day. He also has an abusive home with nobody else to turn to, as well as constant sleep deprivation caused by trauma and his DF.

He soon meets a girl named Sally that is quite manipulative, but takes a liking to Peter and accepts him. He falls for the girl in a combination of desperation and lack of other caring relationships, which gives him a mixed image among his peers. Sally takes him to a few parties where some of her friends are distributing a homemade drug concoction named "Frost", which Peter is soon pressured into taking. The mix of relief from the pain and survivors guilt he's felt for 5 years and fear that he'll be disowned otherwise, he continues taking Frost and eventually becomes hooked, stealing from his step-parents to fuel his addiction. (It's also explained that Sally is an addict as well, which is important later).

He's soon caught and kicked out, but still owes Sally's friend money for the drugs he used an IOU for, which angers the boy, starting a fight that horrifies Sally and injures Peter, but he decides to run instead of finding help. This is the climax of the story, where an intricate monologue will take place describing the accident that killed his parents for the first time in the story while Peter runs, this time not dazed by his DF but fueled with anguish until he eventually hyperventilates, passing out at the side of the road.

He wakes at a strangers home with no recollection of how he got there. The man who took him in explains that he saw him beside the road, more specifically with a baggie of pills in his pocket, and recognized that Peter was addicted just like he was as a teen and probably couldn't afford a hospital trip. He explains his own addiction story while tending to minor wounds inflicted during Peters fight, and is offered a home with the man. Peter, thinking that Sally wouldn't approve of who he's become through his addiction, takes up the deal and stays. Behind the man's back, he keeps taking Frost, but in a slowly decreasing amount, eventually running out but becoming sick due to withdrawal. So after a while of avoiding Sally at school and escaping any attempted conversation, he sees her through the window of a rehab center on his way to the store for some Tylenol. The story concludes with him stating "For the first time in my life, I didn't need drugs or distractions, and I didn't feel like running. I found my home."

Again, a brand new story and a huge WIP, so lemme know what I should change!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Story Idea Needing Feedback · 03-31-24 1:55am
by Napoleon Clarke
Re: Story Idea Needing Feedback · 03-31-24 3:11am
by deemac
Re: Story Idea Needing Feedback · 03-31-24 8:59am
by BIG BAD WOLF is hopping

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3635699