*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3646555
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
(683)
Rated: 13+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #100931
A message forum for general discussion. Please come and chat with others!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Apr 26, 2024 at 4:17am
Re: World Building
by s
Worldbuilding can be as extensive as you like. I know some writers who have a decent sized novella of the worlds they have created.

As to how much of this you need to put into your story, my personal recommendation is only what is necessary for the story to be told and to set it. I know not everyone agrees with this here at WdC, but info-dumps of world-building put most readers off, and giving details about things that have no bearing on the action just pad the word count and little else, apart from slowing the narrative.

I offered only a little world-building in my dragon novel, and even then my beta readers have indicated some of it just bogged down the story. So I will get rid of it.

I have a story with a publisher at the moment (96k words - so a novel) and it is set on a world I had to invent. I drew my map, named everything, did a history of the world, developed over 100 creatures... and used maybe 10% of it in the actual story. I know it, and it enables me to keep my world consistent, even if the reader does not know that the ice caps melted and the sea rose ridiculously, and is now retreating as the poles once more freeze. Doesn't have a bearing on my tasle, so why include it? It's already 96k words long.
MESSAGE THREAD
World Building · 04-26-24 3:22am
by Chrys O'Shea
*Star* Re: World Building · 04-26-24 4:17am
by s
Re: World Building · 04-26-24 8:42am
by Zen
Re: World Building · 04-27-24 11:36pm
by Schnujo is Late to Lannister

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Writing.Com Support.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3646555