*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/716542
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #660949
Competition: Each fortnight new prompts for a short story + 10,000 GPs/Awardicon available
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Sep 1, 2003 at 9:11am
The WINNER, New Prompts & Increased Prize
by A Non-Existent User
 (This message was edited by magdalena_b on 09-03-03 @ 7:04 am EDT)

Congratulations to Dryad who has won this fortnight’s "The Regular Writing Rampage with her entry"Invalid Item. I felt the opening paragraph in "Invalid Item was excellent. Not only did you give the reader a feel for the main character, but also a glimpse at the personality of her now deceased uncle. The story flowed nicely, and though quite short, I liked the ending and the way her uncle could be nasty, even in death. Overall, nice piece of work, and very nicely written.

Each of the stories had their own individual merits and I went through and marked on style, story and the grammar, and in this instance Dryad ’s story won on overall points.

"Invalid Item by femmedragon was a good story with a definite twist at the end. Although the main character was not a particularly likeable person, as a reader it was hard not to feel like saying a little “Yahoo!” at the end when the rotten attorney got his just deserts. I like to read a story with a little twist, or a satisfactory ending.

Overall, I felt "Invalid Item by expat flowed nicely and there were a few little snippets that added real depth to both the characters and the story. I feel your work shows real merit and even some sparks of genius!

I feel that the grammar and phrasing in "Invalid Item by Puditat is good and the story flowed very nicely. I can see the possibilities in your style and writing for some terrific stories in the future. You show great potential. All in all, a very interesting story

You certainly made me work HARD, as a judge this fortnight! LOL!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I just wanted to tell you about a couple of changes - ALL for the better I assure you. I'm sure you'll be pleased to hear that the prize has now increased a whopping 66.7% to 5,000 GPs Woohoo!

Also I am going to provide you with a minimum of three prompts each fortnight. I hope this can stir up the imagination somewhat.

Now without further ado, here are the new prompts:

THIS FORTNIGHT'S PROMPTS (Please choose one):

1. He was the fakest looking Crocodile Dundee imitator I had ever seen. "Gidday mate," he said with a crooked grin, "How's it hanging?"

2. "There's a sucker born every minute," my father was saying, "And I plan on finding every one of them."

3. "This is simply divine, darling," purred the redhead, her perfectly manicured nails lovingly caressed the pelt of the dead ocelet.

Drop these ideas into the recesses of your furtive imagination, stir frantically and in a few days, see what results!

Competition closes: Sunday 14 September 2003 12.00pm EST

Regards

Maggie *Wink*
"Failure should be our teacher, not our undertaker. Failure is delay not defeat.
It is a temporary detour, not a dead-end street."

** Images For Use By Upgraded+ Only **

The Regular Writing Rampage  (ASR)
Competition: Each fortnight new prompts for a short story + 10,000 GPs/Awardicon available
#660949 by Rasputin

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#639664 by Not Available.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The WINNER, New Prompts & Increased Prize · 09-01-03 9:11am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Rasputin.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/716542