*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/807445
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Writing.Com · #774192
Do you have socially unacceptable writing? Come on in....
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 5, 2004 at 11:52pm
Life/literature parallel
 (This message was edited by soledad_moon on 02-06-04 @ 12:03 am EST)

Recently, I've been thinking about a taboo issue. What may that be? Student/teacher love affairs (or sexual affairs, depending on the pair). This topic, like any presented at this forum, causes an uproar under the right conditions in life. Unfortunately, throughout high school, I have come to realize how common it is becoming. I share w/you a journal entry, an entry which documents a possible affair between my former band director and a fellow band member...

"Gibson @ 7, sex @ midnight

several months ago, my former band director left my alma mater to take a job in Orlando. Well, he took a job at a little place called University High School (yes, I know it's not little. I've been there before. Sheesh...no appreciation of understatement), which is of course right next to UCF. Thing is, a classmate of mine (and fellow saxophone player) is attending UCF. So what? you ask. Call me crazy, but I had a feeling my senior year that this classmate had the hots for my former director. The two have been fairly close ever since he arrived @ my alma mater. They even went out to dinner a few times (or @ least that's what I've heard from a few different sources). I don't know, folks. Maybe it's just me, but romantic or not, if a teacher is spotted outside of campus w/a student (particularly of the opposite gender), then assumptions are going to be made. Straight up. That's how it is. It doesn't help that a close friend of my colleague's kept calling during one of their excursions. So, while it'd be a stretch to call it common knowledge, it is certain that these two spent a good amount of time together off campus. The purpose? Good friggin' question, but if this friend kept calling throughout a dinner, the purpose is questionable at best. What I found especially interesting was how much she'd bitch about him in class, but in the end, you'd find them talking at the end of the day. I don't know. I can honestly say I have used exaggerated hatred as a cover up in the past more times than I care to count. I can also say I've seen her use it a couple times as well. Then again, it could be in my head. I still think that something isn't quite right about it. I keep thinking he left what could have been his magnum opus (developing my alma mater's band into perhaps one of the nation's finest) for a student. Not a pretty thought...

I don't know, but some of the things I'd seen/heard point to at least an irrational relationship. What exactly it was is hard to say w/what little knowledge I have. However, gauging by what we've seen in the news the past few years, having such knowledge is becoming more frighteningly commonplace.

Now how does this apply to writing and literature? Can we say Lolita?*Smile* While not teacher/student per se, it shows two people of about the typical ages for such a sordid affair engaged in numerous sexual activities. Another example is Ind. Aff. (Inordinate Affection?) by Fay Weldon. It is also making its way onto Writing.com itself. May I point to

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#716485 by Not Available.

While a work in progress, it is a consequence piece in regards to student/teacher affairs. I haven't seen anything else like it around here, but if you find anything, feel free to post it! I think this topic is underexplored, mostly due to it being extremely sensitive in nature. However, it has the potential for rich, complex conflict development and unusual ways for character building.

Your thoughts??

** Image ID #738104 Unavailable **

~ERD (Elisa Roxanne Dvorak to you)

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.
I am the Writing.com stick!

** Image ID #703820 Unavailable **

Some talented authors:auric--->Click F5 for more!
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Life/literature parallel · 02-05-04 11:52pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik
Re: Life/literature parallel · 02-10-04 11:15pm
by Elisa the Bunny Stik

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Elisa the Bunny Stik.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/807445