*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/880644
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #660949
Competition: Each fortnight new prompts for a short story + 10,000 GPs/Awardicon available
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 15, 2004 at 9:52pm
The Winner for June 1 thru June 13 !
ANd the winner is (drumroll please)

Invalid Item 
This item number is not valid.
#857354 by Not Available.

Judging a writing contest is never easy if you take it seriously and I do. This contest was no exception. The entries were all imaginative and made good use of the prompts. You're always tempted at the end to say everyone's a winner, but that would be a disservice to everyone that entered. The reason to enter contests is to grow as a writer. Whether it's to encourage your mind to open to new possibilities or to simply improve your mechanical writing skills, contests provide the platform to allow that growth. To that end, there can only be one winner. To tell you why I choose the story above i offer part of my review:

Oh man, I couldn’t believe it. What was on the card? I don’t know whether to laugh or be mad at you. You grabbed me, sucked me in, agitated me, and spun me out after the final rinse.

Hot dang! Now that’s what I’m talking about. When I came up with that prompt, I expected to see the old cliché down and out gumshoe story and at times I thought you were headed there, but it never (thankfully) came to pass. This is definitely a good read and I recommend it to anyone you wants to read a well-written imaginative story. I can see this becoming a series of shorts. How did Jake get this job? What happens when all the cards are gone? What’s with the red head in the BMW?

My advice?

Take the time to read this story.

My deepest thanks to all that took the time to enter and most especially to Maggie who had the confidence in me to allow me to judge her fine contest. I enjoyed the experience.

Joe

How do you feel about your writing?  (E)
Do you and your readers agree/disagree on your best stories?
#795405 by Rasputin

Pick Your Prompt  (18+)
Do you like to write to prompts?Have a prompt contest? This is the place for you.
#819961 by Rasputin

Sig made for me by Melissa
Rasputin fishing

~~Image #4000 Sharing Restricted~~
RAOK's logo image.  This is a shared image, so feel free to use its item number.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
The Winner for June 1 thru June 13 ! · 06-15-04 9:52pm
by Rasputin
Re: The Winner for June 1 thru June 13 ! · 06-16-04 5:02am
by A Non-Existent User

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Rasputin.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/880644