*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/982785
Rated: E · Message Forum · Mystery · #895066
I need a name for a strong woman erroneously accused of a capital crime.
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Dec 8, 2004 at 3:49am
11 suggestions
Here are a few which may suit your description of a strong female character wrongfully charged for murder. I've included surnames as well, as I'm unsure whether or not that also is something you need.

Devi S. Harris. A name grounded in reality. Friends call her "Dev."

Sharon Emergy Warner. Loved ones call her "Cher." Friends call her "Energy," for her former McDonald's employer's inability to pronounce the "m" in her middle name.

Joelle Seobold. She is sometimes teased with the name "El-Jo."

Bridget Casey. Her family calls her "Bridge." Friends call her "Jet." Her boyfriend (if she has one) calls her "Doug."

Joyce Caldwell. Before the murder charges, friends called her "Joy."

A lot of popular writers use normal names. "John" has appeared in several works by Stephen King, for instance. The surname is usually where they get creative. One name which I'll never forget (and his character is as memorable) is John Furie Zacharias, from Clive Barker's Imajica. Throughout most of the book he's referred to as simply "Gentle."

If you're looking for something more "out there," here are several suggestions.

Afton Delane. Parents (her real mom, perhaps?) named her for a river in southwest Scotland, which is the "sweet Afton" in Robert Burn's 1789 poem. As such, friends call her "Sweet." Another river name is Shannon.

Contessa James. "Tess" for short. So named for when she was conceived in Italy on a romantic vacation; Contessa is English for an Italian countess.

Astraea McDermott. The Greek goddess of justice. She gained her nickname "Astro" from her proficiency at a certain Classic Atari 2600 game with a similar sounding name.

Wacky names. Why do I love them? Because I use them habitually in my writing:

Paula "Hard Labor" Vicerote. She's tough. She's mean. But no one suspected she'd have to follow through with the nickname they've given her.

Jane Alchemo Therapi, a.k.a. "The Cure."

Robyn N. Batmann, a.k.a. "Poizun Ivy." For the more adventurous copyright infringer.

Feel free to drop the last names on any of the 11 suggestions given. I distrust name generators and phonebooks.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
11 suggestions · 12-08-04 3:49am
by PopWheelie
Re: 11 suggestions · 12-08-04 8:00pm
by Chriswriter

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Chriswriter.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/982785