*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/993961
Rated: ASR · Message Forum · Other · #660949
Competition: Each fortnight new prompts for a short story + 10,000 GPs/Awardicon available
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jan 3, 2005 at 11:23am
Killer flies
We were zooming along the expressway on our way hom from the holidays. It was 2.00 am in the morning. There was hardly anyone on the road. Not a sound to be heard, nor a soul to be seen. We felt that we were the only living beings left. We were each lost in our own thoughts. One wheel of our car had been punctured and luckily we had a spare, otherwise we would have been stranded. So we had just changed the wheel. So now we were nearing the end of the expressway. The ticket booths were in sight. And I fumbled in my pockets for the pass, as we would have to show it to the ticket checker. I found it and we arrived the booth. Strangely there was no one in the booth. So anyway we carried forward.

We came of the expressway and we were now in the outskirts of the city. It felt good to be home. But a strange smell hung in the air. And suddenly just a few feet ahead of us we were met with a very strange sight. There were hoards and hoards of dots in the air, hanging about. In fact the entire width of the road ahead of us was full of the dots. We are dumbstruck, so we stop the car. And before we know it the entire flock is moving towards our car. We were deafened by the zzzz zzzz zzzz sounds. And then we realized that the dots were flies, or mosquitoes, or some other sort of flying insects. The entire flock surrounded our car, and thank God it was chilly that night so we had our windows shut, but the ventilator was open. I quickly shut it but not before 1 of them had entered inside. It was buzzing around my head and I tried to kill it, and succeeded. And then I looked in front of me. The entire windscreen was full of bodies as they struck past, I could literally hear the sounds of the flies hitting across the windscreen, 'tak' 'tak'. It was becoming impossible to see, so we turned on the wipers, to swat off the flies. It was a disgusting sight, full of yellow coloured liquid, the side windows were also getting covered by the flies.

But let me tell you the outside scenario now. From the little place that we got in the windows, all we could see was bodies and bodies of people, half eaten with hoards of flies swarming above them. But there still were a few people running about chased by the flies. Everyone was panic-stricken.

Now let me tell you what was going on in our heads. We had absolutely no idea about the whole situation, what had happened! We were absolutely dumbfounded and were wondering what had come to be of our beautiful city. Just then along the road, someone had lit a fire. In that area there weren't any of the flies, so we stopped the car. There was a man standing near the fire. His face was that of grief and sorrow. We asked him what had happened. He said, "It had all started yesterday morning about the same time as it was now. And suddenly the electricity had gone off in the entire city, even the street lights and everything. It was as if the entire city had been engulfed in darkness. As it was night time everybody had been asleep, and the few that were awake, gave cries of astonishment. As just a few minutes after the lights had gone, there was an attack of these flies from all directions. Whoever came in their way they was infested by them. All the main entry roads were blocked by them." He said that we were lucky to have entered the city and still being alive. Fire was the only thing that kept them at bay. We were shocked and wondered why our city had been chosen and where had these killer flies come from. We asked him if any Govt. help had arrived. He said that by now almost 70% of the people are dead, he himself was searching for his 12 yr old son and the rest of his family was dead. And that till now there had been no help from any source. He said that it was as if the entire city had stopped existing for the outside world. As it was electricity was cut off, so no way of any media coverage. He was near tears now. So we thanked him for the information and moved ahead towards home.

Home, could we hardly call it that the entire city was in ruins. Finally we reached home but there were flies there too. We were thinking about how to enter inside the house without being infested by the flies. We had no means of creating a fire. Then we made a plan, that all three of us would run in 3 different directions to divert the flies, and I would run for the front door and open it as fast as i could and quickly go and open the back door for the other 2. So i dashed toward the front door and opened it quickly but not before getting bitten at 2-3 places by the killer flies. I quickly let the other 2. We sealed both doors. Somehow we all were safe inside. We lit up all the candles we found. Sitting around the candles, we waited and wondered how long?...........
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Killer flies · 01-03-05 11:23am
by bittersweet

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Rasputin.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/993961