*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. The Beginning of the End
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1825323-The-Black-Rose/cid/1221532-The-Beginning-of-the-End
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1825323
In a world where red hair is a bad omen of death & misfortune a girl is raised in disguise
Chapter #1

The Beginning of the End

    by: Unknown
Rose opened her bright green eyes to the world in the face of the early morning sun. She got up, per usual, and walked outside to her favorite place in the world, the garden of roses. Something seemed right about this place: the warm wind calmed her thoughts, and the scent of roses permeated the air, filling her with an overwhelming feeling of joy.

It was dying day; the day on which every month Rose would hide who she really was through the use of black berry extract her mother made from the berries that came from the same wondrous garden that made her so happy. The name held a duel significance, for actual dye was used, and every time she had to disguise herself, a little bit of her individuality passed away inside.

"Rose!" her mother, Ana, shouted from the window, "Come in and let us begin."

Rose went in and sat by the tub of water, and Ana poured the pitch black sludge over her daughter's long flowing hair. When all of her hair was covered, Ana meticulously dried her it, ensuring that all streaks of red were dutifully covered over.

"I need you to go to the market today, my dear," Ana said, smiling at her beautiful adopted daughter, "Our cloth is selling wonderfully, and there is only a small amount left. I must go visit my sister in her town, Uppsala."

"Oh, I see. You're getting rid of me for the day. We both know that your sister hates me. She's the only one that really knows my secret."

"Well, you always have been able to see right through me," Ana sighed.

"Don't worry, mother. I'll go, and hopefully I'll be able to sell the rest of our remaining cloth today," Rose tried to comfort her mother the best she could.

They kissed goodbye, and Rose gathered the things on their old rickety cart to take it into the main part of the town. She set off down the worn path.
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

Story Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024. All rights reserved.
..LetMeThink.. has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1825323-The-Black-Rose/cid/1221532-The-Beginning-of-the-End