*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165589-Segment-4
by June
Rated: 13+ · Serial · Melodrama · #165589
The saga continues....
I Hook By Night -- a Crochet Soap
© Copyright 2000, 2001 by P. June Diehl

Segment 4


"Good-bye, Mrs. Woods. I'll make your appointment for next Monday at the same time."

Alicia shut the door behind her last customer of the morning. She loved doing massage therapy and enjoyed the freedom and flexibility that having her own business afforded her. Checking the answering machine, she found no new messages.. For once, she was delighted that she did not have to return any calls.

In the center of the living room was her massage table, expensive and especially made for massage, with its chin support at one end. She would leave the table and her oils in place for her 3:30 PM appointment.

Getting her bag out of the closet across from the tiny kitchen, she took her newly found craft to the living room and sat on the old sofa. She had about an hour to practice before leaving to meet Janice at the mall. Her hands quickly picked up the rhythm of her work as she crocheted back and forth across the rows.

******

"Randy! It's me, Janice. Yes, I'm doing fine. How are you today?" Janice turned her chair away from her office door as several people walked down the hallway.

"Oh, Janice. It's been so long since you called me. I've been slaving away in the bookstore and I'm getting more and more people calling me about buying yarn, hooks, patterns, and other crochet supplies. I'm going to need to hire some part time help soon. I cannot handle it all!"

Janice stood up and paced in front of the window in her office. Sitting on the ledge, she asked, "Randy, I've a favor to ask. I have a new student. A brand new student. She's so excited about crocheting. Could I possibly bring her down to see you tomorrow afternoon, say sometime between 1 and 3 pm?"

"Of course! I look forward to meeting her! Bring her down around 2 pm. You know the routine. Knot on the door at the west side of the building twice. I'll be there to let you in."

Janice rose from the window ledge as her supervisor entered her office. "I have to go now. See you tomorrow at 2!" She hung up the phone and turned her attention to Jefferson.

Jefferson, tall, medium build, and dark, handed Janice a folder he was carrying. "Here's the rest of the articles I need you to review and edit by COB today." He turned to leave, paused at the doorway, and turned back. "Oh, Janice, let's change our meeting to noon, and I'll make it a lunch meeting. Does that interfere with any of your plans today?"

Janice glanced at the calendar displayed on her computer, knowing this would work out perfectly with her later appointment with Alicia. "No. That would fit into my schedule today."

"Ok. I'll meet you in the lobby and we can walk across the street, get a bit of lunch, and discuss work."

"I'll see you in the lobby at noon."

Jefferson turned and walked out of her office. Janice could hear his reseeding footsteps down the hallway.

******

"Thank you," Jefferson said as he retrieved his credit card from the waiter and handed him the tip. The waiter nodded, put the money in his pocket, and retreated.

"Ready to go?" Jefferson asked Janice.

"Yes, and thank you for a wonderful lunch. It's nice to talk business over a meal once in a while."

Janice scooped her crocheted drawstring bag from beside her chair and slung the straps over her shoulder. Jefferson watched her and asked, "That's an unusual bag? Where did you buy it?"

"Oh," Janice stumbled, "I made it!"

"You made it? That's quite lovely. Would you be willing to make one for my wife? In an off-white? Let me know how much I owe you."

"I can have it done in about 5 days. The price is $34."

"Fine. I know Maria will love it!"

Jefferson motioned for Janice to lead the way to the outside world. Janice's face was consumed with her smile as the approached to restaurant door.
© Copyright 2001 June (pjune at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/165589-Segment-4