*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318846-Stinky-Lonely-Squatchy
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Molly
Rated: E · Fiction · Children's · #2318846
A hairy, stinky, creature that lives alone in the forest and longs for friends.
In the middle of the woods there stood a large hallow tree. This tree was home to a lonely, little monster named Moog. Ever since his parents went on a hunt and never returned, Moog has been a sad, lonely creature.
Moog longed for friends to talk to, but all he encountered in the forest were animals. Woodland creatures are great at listening but not talking.
One day, while on his way to fetch water at the lake, Moog spotted a little boy collecting leaves, flowers, and berries. Despite his desire to call out to the boy, fear kept him hidden among the trees until the child departed.
Moog returned to his hallow tree sad and lonely. He closed his large eyes and imagined friends coming by and chatting, sharing his fungus chips and fresh water. Moog decided he’d see if the boy might return to the woods.
The following day, as Moog headed back to the lake and once again saw the boy. This time, he followed him to a place where other children were playing, laughing, and chasing one another. Watching them play, Moog mustered the courage to approach them and greeted them with a cheerful "Hello!"
To Moog's shock, the children reacted with fear and disgust, calling him a "stinky monster,” and running away. Feeling rejected, Moog retreated to his lonely tree, where he sat alone, eating his fungus chips. He wailed, his loud cry echoing through the woods.
The following day, Moog returned to the lake for his daily water supply. Once again, the little boy was in the woods, this day he sat at the water's edge, soaking his feet.
Finding the boy approachable, Moog decided to greet him. Stepping out from the trees, he spoke, "Hello!" he said.
The boy turned towards him, pinching his nose. “Ewww! You're that smelly monster chasing us in the park!"
"I just want to be friends," Moog replied.
"Please, don't come closer, you stink!" The boy stood up and moved away. "Let's talk from a distance. I can't handle that stench."
"I don't understand," Moog said, tears welling up in his eyes.
"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to upset you, but if you want to make friends, you need to get rid of that awful smell."
Moog sat and howled, his foul breath drifting through the woods.
"The boy, pinching his nose, introduced himself, “I’m Tom," he said. “If you stop wailing, I’ll help you make friends at the park.”
Moog stopped crying, wiping his eyes. "Really? You can help me?"
"I think so. Meet me here tomorrow, and maybe I can freshen you up, so you make some new friends."
Moog grinned. "Thanks, Tom."
"What's your name?" Tom inquired.
"Moog," he responded.
"Until tomorrow, Moog!" Tom waved goodbye as he walked off.
The following day, filled with excitement, Moog headed to the lake early. While munching on his fungus chips, he spotted Tom coming towards him, dragging something behind.
Tom greeted him, saying, "Got something for you, Moog! Come to the lake and take a leap."
Moog hesitated, "I'm afraid," he admitted.
"Have you never been in the lake before? That explains why you have such a strong smell," Tom remarked.
Tom covered his face with a handkerchief to block the smell as he approached Moog. "Take it slow and step into the lake; you're tall, so it won't be too deep for you."
Moog hesitated, placing one foot in the water and shivering. "I can't," he muttered.
"Do you want to make friends or not?" Tom inquired.
Moog nodded his head.
"Then you need to get into the water to freshen up," Tom insisted, prodding Moog with a stick towards the water. "Go ahead, get wet. I have soap!"
Reluctantly, Moog slowly entered the lake.
“A little further,” Tom said.
Moog went out far enough to get most of his body wet.
Tom placed the bar of soap onto a small boat he crafted and sailed it towards the malodorous creature.
"Pick up the soap, wet it, and do this," Tom demonstrated showering.

Moog grabbed the soap and vigorously rubbed it, but it didn’t suds up on his hairy body
“Hmmm.” Tom looked through his wagon and found the shampoo. “Moog! Come to the edge of the lake.”
The monster did as he was told. “Now, hold still.” Tom walked around Moog, squirting him with shampoo. “Now, go back into the water and did what I showed you.”
This time, suds and bubbles covered Moog’s furry body. After Moog finished washing, Tom shouted, “Now, lower yourself into the water and wash off the soap.”

Following Tom's directions, Moog rinsed his fur.
“Alright, you can come back up now!” Tom gestured.
Moog made his way to the lakeside and sat down.
Tom removed his handkerchief and slowly approached the creature. After sniffing the air and detecting no odor, he exclaimed, "Moog, the smell is gone!"
"Can I have friends now?" Moog inquired.
Tom instinctively covered his nose. "I forgot about your stinky breath!" He handed Moog a tube of toothpaste and a scrub brush. "Squeeze some toothpaste on the brush and do this." Tom proceeded to demonstrate brushing his teeth. "And remember to clean your tongue too."
Moog followed Tom's instructions. Then, through a mouth full of foam, he asked, "Can I have friends now?"
Tom laughed and replied, "Yes, but you need to rinse your mouth first."
Moog dipped his face in the water and rinsed his mouth.
"Alright, now say something," Tom directed.
"Hello," Moog responded.
Tom nodded, "Much better."
"Can I have friends now?" Moog inquired once more.
"Yes, but first, we need to figure out what's causing the bad smell, so you can stay fresh. Where do you live?"
Moog rose and declared, "Come with me."

Tom trailed behind Moog as they ventured through the woods to a massive, hollow tree that Moog referred to as his home.
"This is where I live," Moog stated. Upon opening the door, a foul odor wafted outside.
Tom pinched his nose. "Phew, that smell! Perhaps you should consider leaving the door open to let some fresh air in, or maybe find a new tree!”
Moog nodded.
"Now, what kind of food gives you that awful breath?" Tom led Moog behind his tree house. "I eat these yummy fungus chips that grow just outside my home."
"That explains it," Tom remarked. "Alright, here's the plan. First, air out your tree and tidy up a bit. Second, tomorrow I'll show you around the woods to discover other edible foods such as berries, plants, and perhaps some mint that won’t cause bad breath. I’ll also bring you some more shampoo and toothpaste, so you can stay clean.”
Tom grasped Moog's thick, hairy hand. "But for now, let's go and find you some friends.”
The two rushed to the park. Tom paused at the entrance, saying, "Wait here for a moment while I tell my friend about you, so they won't be scared off again."
Moog observed as Tom dashed into the park, where all the other children surrounded him. Tom then hurried back and took Moog's hand, saying, "Come on, friend, let's go."

© Copyright 2024 Molly (gooble at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2318846-Stinky-Lonely-Squatchy