*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/704379-A-life-lesson-thanking-the-teacher
Rated: E · Letter/Memo · Emotional · #704379
Praise and thanksgiving for the teacher who has helped me become a better person.
You came into my life when I least expected it, or I guess I stumbled into yours. I wasn't searching for or looking for the kind of friend you became. I didn't know that a friend like you could exist, for I have certainly never found one like you since. The lessons in life that you have shared with me have made me a better man today.

(The name has been changed to keep her identity private. Thank you.)

June 11th, 2003
Dear Kyra,

I know it's been a long time since we talked, but I needed to tell you something, something important to me that had to be said. I wanted to tell you how good of a friend you've been to me, and although I never said it enough then, can never say it enough now, I have appreciated your presence in my life. You have brought peace and comfort to my soul, you helped me learn things I never knew about myself. Some days I wish I could take back time so that I had the chance to do it all over again.

I never told you the difference you made in my life, when my days were overcast and rainy, when the good turned to bad, and when nothing went right. You were always there for me, willing to help me stand when I stumbled, help me walk when I couldn't, help me be when I wouldn't.

You took so much static from me, and yet you wouldn't back away. You smiled, gritted your teeth and carried on. Never letting me see the pain in the ass I was at times. I learned to be a better person by following your example. I *slowly* learned to hold my tongue before speaking my mind, yet even when I lapsed you still held true.

I learned so much about love, caring, silence, happiness, thoughtfulness, responsibility, compassion. I let go of hate, anger, sorrow, sadness, and remorse to hold a little more love in my heart. I learned to let go of a past that holds nothing but dead space. I also found that it only takes one mistake to ruin a friendship, and even so you waited for me to grow up and learn. You waited patiently while I struggled, you kept a small space in your heart, for *me*.

And now we are separated by time and space, worlds apart and still I know. You waited patiently, you helped me grow, together we forgave and forgot our past misdeeds. Nothing can change the past and all the history behind us, but we are changing the future. Each and every day that we speak, I see a spark become brighter. I see compassion and warmth brighten the dark days that I used to have. I see the beauty within you that supersedes any physical trappings. I know the kindness that resides in your soul transcends any boundary between us.

You have been a wonderful teacher to me, waiting for me to learn from my mistakes, careful not to over-react and tread heavily on my soul. I've been naive most of the time, and only in hindsight have I seen the wisdom of your lessons, which brought me to this plateau. I see the mountains ahead, the path I must still take alone, and I know that path will not be easy. I know that bumps in the road still lie before you and I. Perhaps I have learned enough now that you don't have to wait too long for me to catch up. Perhaps we can actually walk down our own paths side by side... again. Thank you.
© Copyright 2003 Earendil (eveningstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/704379-A-life-lesson-thanking-the-teacher