*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000912-Nutty-Fruitcakes
Rated: 13+ · Book · Biographical · #2198921
Norma's Wanderings around a small section of Montana
#1000912 added December 27, 2020 at 6:57pm
Restrictions: None
Nutty Fruitcakes
27. National Fruitcake Day
Write about your opinion of Fruitcake.
If you don't like them, you haven't had mine.


I used to like my mother’s fruitcake. It was made with the real mincemeat you used to be able to find. Wish I knew how she did it. She wasn't a good cook or baker usually. So the fact that I remember anything she cooked or baked is unusual.

I don’t make fruitcake anymore. My husband makes stollen. But the last he made didn’t really rise very much. I think it was the yeast. He seemed to think they were okay. I thought the dough was too heavy. The jury is still deliberating. I did switch out the yeast that was in the refrigerator. I threw it out. So some new from the freezer to replace it should help. But he only makes stollen around Christmas.

I made an Amish Cinnamon Loaf. Now that was good. A sweet quick bread with a cinnamon sugar swirl. Yummy. I like to make easy things. Brownies, cakes, cookies, corn bread, quick breads, muffins, coffee cakes. I really should try to do some more difficult yeasty things. But we don't need the carbs and at this stage of my life, I don't need the aggravation.

We get catalogs starting in October, like everyone else, and lots of places were selling fruitcakes. Now come on, would you seriously pay $50 for a 2# fruitcake? I think not. So if you would buy one of those, you would be nuttier than a fruitcake.

So for all you nutty fruitcakes out there, you evidently are in the minority.



© Copyright 2020 QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham (UN: normajeantrent at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
QueenNormaJeanGreeneggs&vegham has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1000912-Nutty-Fruitcakes