*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002544-EFFORTLESSNESS-IS-THE-RESULT
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #2171316
As the first blog entry got exhausted. My second book
#1002544 added January 21, 2021 at 3:10am
Restrictions: None
EFFORTLESSNESS IS THE RESULT

Student: I have pain in my legs, but it is bearable. I am not bothered by many thoughts and my concentration is fairly good. But I really don't know what my aim in sitting is.

ROSHI: The first aim of sitting is to unify the mind. For the average person, whose mind is being pulled in many directions, sustained concentration is virtually impossible. Through the practice of zazen, the mind becomes one-pointed so that it can be controlled. This process can be likened to utilizing the sun's rays through a magnifying glass. When the rays of the sun are focused they become, of course, more intense. The human mind too functions more efficiently when it is concentrated and unified. Whether your desire is to see into your Self-nature or not, you can appreciate the effect on your well-being of mind integration.

Student: Yes, of course. Now, I was sitting quietly doing zazen, and then I had a great deal of pain, i didn't know whether I ought to try to endure the pain or to give up when it got too intense. My real problem, in other words, is this: Should I bring my will to bear or should I sit passively, without forcing myself.

Roshi; This is an important problem. Eventually, you will reach the point where you can sit comfortably, free from strain or pain. But from long habit of misusing our body and mind, in the beginning, we must exert our will before we can sit with ease and equilibrium. And this inevitably entails pain.

When the body's center of gravity is established in the region just below the navel, the entire body functions with greater stability. The center of gravity in the average person is in the shoulders. Moreover, instead of sitting and walking with an erect back, most people slump, placing an inordinate strain on all parts of the body.

We likewise mis-employ our mind, playing with and harboring all kinds of useless thoughts. This is why we have to make a determined effort to use the body and mind properly. At first, it is unavoidably painful, but if you persevere, the pain will gradually give way to a feeling of exhilaration. You will become physically stronger and mentally more alert. This is the experience of all who do zazen regularly and devotedly.

© Copyright 2021 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1002544-EFFORTLESSNESS-IS-THE-RESULT