*Magnify*
    April     ►
SMTWTFS
 
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1003002-Pig-and-Pepper--Knock-on-the-Door
Rated: E · Book · Activity · #2242383
WDC's Wonderland Activity Writing
#1003002 added March 9, 2021 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Pig and Pepper: Knock on the Door
So just to recap the situation...

I want to be able to get inside because that's clearly where the party is happening. However a Footman guards the one door to the entrance.

I think I can Ocean's 11 this. (Well technically it wouldn't be 11 since it is just me. ^_^;)

Let's examine the pieces on the board...

We have the footman guarding the doorway that appeared in my location. It is only one guard... That's a plus.
There's a crowd of people nearby
Some trees and buildings (maybe I can use them for cover).

This is the classic bouncer scenario where a bouncer bars entryway to a nightclub and sadly my name isn't on the list.

The Footman looks strong so I don't think that I can beat him in a physical confrontation. I think my best strategy is to lure the footman away from the doorway. In chess this strategy is known as a trap. Get your opponents to leave their king vulnerable and execute the checkmate.

I strike up a conversation with one of the people in the crowd explaining my plight. He's sympathetic enough and agrees to help for a little bit of a cash incentive. I'm now down $100 bucks but if he is able to distract the guard long enough for me to sneak inside it will be worth it.

As I watch from a few feet away, my accomplice walks up to the 'bouncer' and performs the distraction. I can't hear what my new friend is saying but it seems to work. The Footman pulls him aside. I see my friend give me a slight nod as the footman's back is turned and I quickly move through the entrance as quietly as possible... success!!

***


So just after I finish walking through the doorway you can imagine my surprise as the man who helped me walked through a few seconds later.

I look at him flabbergasted. "How did you...?"

The man smiles. "I slipped the footman 50 bucks to let us both inside."

I slap my forehead. Why didn't I think of bribing the footman directly? Sometimes simple solutions are the easiest.

373 Words
Chess References This Entry: 3
Total Chess References in Book So far: 11

Prompt
1."Knock on the Door" – Write about the sudden appearance of a strange door guarded by a Footman. To get through the door, you must deal with the Footman who will not let you in. (<1000 words)

© Copyright 2021 KingsSideCastle (UN: kingscastle1 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
KingsSideCastle has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1003002-Pig-and-Pepper--Knock-on-the-Door