*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010712-Mind-Blown
Rated: 18+ · Book · Personal · #2017254
My random thoughts and reactions to my everyday life. The voices like a forum.
#1010712 added May 24, 2021 at 9:08pm
Restrictions: None
Mind Blown?
May 24th Prompt: Write about a movie or t.v. show you watched recently that blew you away. What lessons can you learn from the show and incorporate into your own writing?
         
         Hmmm... I've not been viewing much lately. When I do watch something I do not do so to critique the writing, the presentation, the character arcs, the storyline, or whatever. Often, I am just killing time and craving a bit of entertainment. I don't consider the how.
         I do remember an Australian movie that I would never have chosen to view based upon its title. It had an innocuous title, The Dressmaker. Never would I watch anything I assumed would, or could be about a seamstress, or a tailor. Sewing doesn't pique my curiosity. Meh, someone is making a dress, or two? So, they cut material and join it together with thread?
         Netflix teased me with a hint of a synopsis and a brief action clip. I took the plunge. Am I happy that I did this? In a word, yes. This gem of a movie is about far more than a person who creates clothing.
         The script delves into labels and misconceptions that dog a person's life. Redemption is showcased as a meal best served cold. Is vengeance possible ? Is it attainable in a life well-lived? The dressmaker of the movie returns as an adult to her hometown and she brings her considerable skill and flair. She carries a haunting repressed memory that the townspeople have not forgiven. As a child she was blamed for an unfortunate death. Despite her accomplishments she cannot escape the crushing condemnation that mars her return. I shall not mention more 'cause that would reveal the entire plot and the dramatic ending.
         I suppose it's the brilliant characterizations that remain vivid. Every person in this tale has their own back story and a tale that describes their relationship with each other. In other words, everyone is flawed. No one has the right to judge the dressmaker, but they do so anyway. Their judgements unite them as they shun the young woman who has dared to show her face again. They soon make it clear that they cannot forget the child she was, or the lies that they have perpetuated. All the players are lifelike and far from flat. They are uncompromisingly complex.
         What did I learn? Characters in a story are so much more than their physical descriptors. Their psychological profiles drive their actions and determine the plot.

© Copyright 2021 SandraLynn Team Florent! (UN: nannamom at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
SandraLynn Team Florent! has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1010712-Mind-Blown