*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012337-Dracula-Finale
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1012337 added June 22, 2021 at 10:50am
Restrictions: None
Dracula Finale!
I just realized I didn't post my thoughts on the finale.

While the first two episodes were excellent, this was a bit poorer in terms of quality. There is a time skip and it presents an interesting concept but it goes nowhere fast sadly. Instead of going for a more science fiction route and uncovering the secrets of Dracula, (like how the first episode began), this final chapter chooses an emotional climax which it achieves with some success.

But this comes at the loss of more interesting storylines and time spent meandering with characters that I never had much interest in. The "new" Agatha is a bit lackluster and spends most of her time fawning over the charismatic count and cleaning up his messes. She never is angry with him, even when he murders dozens of people. It's almost like they shrug it off, as if he can't help it.

The poor thing was hungry, after all.

But while the finale falters in places, there are some brilliant bits here and there. Dracula is in fine form here, devilishly cheeky and ever ravenous. Seeing how he navigates modern society was interesting but it felt a bit strange how nobody wants to hunt him down and study his blood.

There was a moment where I thought the Van Helsing Organization was going to be the world's supernatural task force, hunting down monsters and capturing specimens for further research. This is something many movies and shows have tried and failed.

Perhaps that's why the writers opted for a subversive twist with Renfield. But one wonders why Zoe didn't fight it more, that was a bit odd.

My favorite part had to be the children of the night reference, it was a morbid scene that was built up nicely.

Overall, wonderful show with some fresh new ideas. I just wish they stuck the landing a bit more.


© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012337-Dracula-Finale