*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012407-The-Norm
Rated: 18+ · Book · Writing.Com · #2251487
Guided by prompts from WDC blogging challenges... and of course, life
#1012407 added June 26, 2021 at 11:58am
Restrictions: None
The Norm
Post 5 of 8 for June "Journalistic Intentions
Prompt: Insomnia is just another way to brand yourself "not normal". by Black Crisis

         What exactly is "normal" in this day and age, where everyone tries to be more outlandish than the next person? The Merriam-Webster's dictionary states that normal, when used as an adjective, means "conforming to a standard; usual, typical, or expected." And when used as a noun, "the usual, average, or typical state or condition." So, what is the usual, average or typical? Is yours the same as mine?
         In recent times, it seems to be more the norm for people to have issues of some sort rather than to be without. How much has to be wrong with a person for others to label them as "not normal" anyway? Or is "normal" a term relative to the persons or group perceiving it? For most people, it would not be normal to live with chronic excruciating pain, but for people like myself, it is unfortunately our norm. Does normal change as our societies change or with differing societies? History tells us that it does. Approximately eighty-five years ago, public hangings were normal, whereas nowadays it is highly frowned upon (to say the least). The normal for people in upper North America is completely different than the normal of those in South America. Until we all begin to realize that normal is relative to the person or group perceiving the issue in question, the peoples of the world will continue to label and discriminate against those we deem as not normal. Personally, I think the word normal is over-used and often misunderstood. Then again, I am about as normal as a unicorn in a pond of sea cows.

LeJenD'Poet - Just Tryin' to be ME.






© Copyright 2021 LeJenD' (UN: lejendpoet at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
LeJenD' has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012407-The-Norm