*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012671-This-Doesnt-Count
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1012671 added June 28, 2021 at 1:06pm
Restrictions: None
This Doesn't Count
All I know
Time is a valuable thing
Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
Watch it count down to the end of the day
The clock ticks life away


If there was an organization that specialized in Time, creating a task force that hunted down chrono-criminals with extreme prejudice... Yours truly would be in BIG trouble.

I'm a murderer. Yes, you heard that right. There is blood on these hands, typing out the twisted details of my last spree. This weekend, I tracked down Father Time and brutally killed that sucker. Never even saw it coming, poor bastard. One second it was Friday evening and the next thing I knew it was Monday morning.

This has happened before, don't get me wrong. It ain't my first rodeo. I'll just have to lay low for a bit and do some work to maintain my cover. But it's so hard not to get back into bad habits. Already I can feel the urges itching, pushing me to gather as much Time as I can and put it in the trash can outside. Oh, is that wasteful? You have no idea.

I always thought it was interesting how we all view this incorporeal concept in unique ways.

You value your time. There is a price on it, an agreement that you will invest it with the employer of your choosing in exchange for a weekly stipend. Time is money, after all.

But it's more than that. I'm a devout believer in taking my time with nearly every facet of life. No need to rush, each move requires careful consideration. Pushing urgency on me only seems to result in digging in my heels. My time is precious and I'm very selfish.

Does the word sound weird yet? It's going to by the time you finish this entry.

There is something to be said about how we judge things at various points in life. As a kid, you could spend hours doing nonsense your older self would scoff at. "Look, I built a house made out of toothpicks!" But all you can see is a gross misuse of your temporal budget. "Get back to your homework," You sniff.

Experience adds a new tint to the lens through which we view the world. Trial and error give us the lessons we should have learned long ago, but it's never too late to practice what you preach. (Oh that's rich, ya damn slacker. Get off the blog and start writing.)

Excuse me, I do what I want. Lose the attitude, dude.

(Oh yeah? Do you plan on making up for the days you missed? So far you are negative 2000 words buckaroo.)

Unless you count the words I just typed...

(Cheater cheater pumpkin eater)


Can I please finish? You're actively derailing my train of thought here.

(Like you finished your last hundred stories?)


.... you done?

(.... yeah.)

We still on for poker tomorrow?

(Only if you want to lose money)

Uh-huh. You're gonna eat those words, buddy. Sorry about that. Now where was I? Oh yes... I was talking about my nemesis. Time. Of which I am running out. Story of my life.

Now if you excuse me, I have responsibilities to ignore and a long day of procrastination planned. If you need me, I'll be setting up a high-stakes poker game. Come by if you'd like me to deal you in. You'll have a great time, I promise.

© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1012671-This-Doesnt-Count