*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1018686-October-4th---Monday---Plot-Beginning---Where-it-all-starts
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1018686 added October 4, 2021 at 2:30pm
Restrictions: None
October 4th - Monday - Plot: Beginning - Where it all starts
Plot Beginning - Where it all starts

This is one bit where I feel fairly happy that I know what I want to write. I had actually written a first chapter for this, but it was 'lost' about ten years ago when I suffered a personal disaster (don't ask).

The story opens with Boudica taking the challenge of the Mindwalk Pavilion, form whence the novel takes its name. The narration switches between the observations of Boudica's friend Bridget as she observes what is happening in the 'real' world, being unable to participate herself in the events unfolding in the psychic realms.

The purpose here is to introduce a few of the big players, who are all present for the attempt. Bridget knows Boudica well, and shares many of her opinions about those in the room, so we get a useful insight as to who they are are and what their significance is.

The other part of the chapter, interspersed with Bridget's comments, will tell the reader what is happening in the Mindwalk Pavilion, and (hopefully), explain what it is - the concept behind it. As this unfolds, we will also learn something of Boudica herself, as she is pitted against the challenges of the Pavilion. This will include some recent personal history, especially as regards her family.

I will describe why Boudica is taking the challenge, and explain that this was not something she had expected. Her half-sister Mary has died suddenly, having seemingly gone mad. There is some doubt as to the exact circumstances, and we will later learn that foul play is suspected. Mary's reign has been marred by unrest as she married the King of Spain, against the advice of the Council, and the wishes of the general populace.

Boudica, who loved Mary knows that Mary believed she was marrying for love, but also can see the shadow of manipulation, with the specific intent of destabilising the country.

As well as all this going on, I want to sew the seeds of the larger significance of the Pavilion. Boudica will get some sense of it being somehow 'larger', more important, even than that of being the test that decides the next monarch.

Boudica is attempting the challenge because it was the dying wish of Mary. This has angered several of the other families of the Council, who wanted to field their own candidates, but the majority has decided that Boudica should be first. This also allows me to explain the structure of governance operating in Albion, and how new monarchs are chosen via the Pavilion, but balanced and checked by the Council.

Few monarchs if any would be powerful enough on their own to fight the combined efforts of council. All of the members agree that the rules should be followed, as all might one day be monarch themselves. Some privately believe in bending or bypassing the rules, or 'helping things along'. Just as in the real world there are those who are self righteous.
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Log in to Leave Feedback
Username:
Password: <Show>
Not a Member?
Signup right now, for free!
All accounts include:
*Bullet* FREE Email @Writing.Com!
*Bullet* FREE Portfolio Services!
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1018686-October-4th---Monday---Plot-Beginning---Where-it-all-starts