*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1018825-October-6th---Wed---Plot-Rising-Action
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1018825 added October 6, 2021 at 1:55pm
Restrictions: None
October 6th - Wed - Plot: Rising Action
Once Boudica has succeeded in the the challenge of the Mindwalk Pavilion, she is crowned as Queen.

Very shortly after this her childhood friend will attempt to rape her (he also intends to murder her). In this he has been influenced by the Llewellyn family,. They have poisoned his mind against Boudica. The attempt is thwarted by Boudica's companion Bridget, who cuts through the assailant's ham strings. Dafydd Morus is arrested, and the Council recommends a protracted death for him, (especially the Llewellyn's who of course pretend his actions were nothing to do with them). Boudica says no, he will just be beheaded, no torture. "Just because he is a monster, there is no reason for me to be one too."

Cecil questions the man before his death and learns some of what led to his crimes. He appraises Boudica of this, and urges action, but she is reluctant to move without evidence.

Following this shocking event, another stuns the court. The arrival of Bayezid and his retinue, including his brother, causes a massive stir. The son of Suleiman, Bayezid desires to take the challenge of the Mindwalk Pavilion. There is nothing to stop him doing so, except that Boudica has already done so, and now has three years grace before any new challenge can be issued.

Bayezid is shrewd, and instead seeks to woo the Queen. Boudica is fascinated by him, but does not wish to marry. A subplot here unfolds, as Bayezid's brother attempts to murder him.

In subsequent chapters we meet in turn the Roman block, the Pater of Rome, and the Prefect of Iberia. They discuss the death of Mary, and their subsequent options. The Prefect decides to propose to Boudica, and the Pater agrees to his attempting this.

A subsequent chapter will deal with his arrival in Albion, and his unsuccessful attempt to woo the young Queen.

We will then be introduced to the Polish block. They too will discuss the new Queen, and the possibilities of an alliance with her. They send an ambassador to discuss this. Their emphasis on developing new sciences is introduced, (the Polish leader will be loosely based on Emperor Rudolf II).

The ambassador will find Boudica positive about advancing science, this is something she is discussing with Roger Asham. She prevaricates about an alliance though, and demonstrates her weakness through inaction.

We will learn more about Boudica's strange feelings about the Mindwalk Pavilion, that is is somehow more than just a mentally constructed meeting place, and challenge. The recurring symbolism of a spiral will be used throughout the book.

We will return to the Roman block, here we will learn of the Mithraides, and of Iliaster da Ragusa. His personal history will be recounted, especially his exploration of the psychic realms. We learn of the effects upon him, his loss of faith, which he conceals for obvious reasons.

Then I will describe Iliaster's meeting with the Pater of Rome, and the disappointed Prefect of Iberia, who is now livid at the continuing attacks on his ships as they bring treasure from America. Together they will devise the plot to attack Boudica and invade her kingdom. The Pater is convinced to commit men to the attempt.

The ramifications of this are clear, it is a gamble because the men are needed to maintain the stalemate with the Polish block.

The first part of their plot is the assassination of William Cecil, and a chapter will describe this, and the grief it causes Boudica, and the Council.

Finally, I will describe the court at Albion learning of the immanent attack, and their decision to repel the invasion force through a psychically summoned storm. This will seem to be playing into the plotter's hands as it is exactly what they predicted will happen.

Additional notes.

The Romans like to use mirrors to focus the sun and cause fires on enemy ships, this is not only effective, but fits with Mithras being a sun god. They usually cannot do this when fighting the Celts because of their ability to raise storms, clouds thus blocking the sun. The Celts are confused that the Iberians plan to invade, knowing this fear. They are manipulated to believe it is an act of desperation.


© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1018825-October-6th---Wed---Plot-Rising-Action