*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019986-October-23rd---Saturday---Setting-Description
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #2259195
To keep all documents relating to the October Preparation Challenge for NaNoWriMo
#1019986 added October 23, 2021 at 2:39pm
Restrictions: None
October 23rd - Saturday - Setting Description
The Mithraeum

All that was visible from the outside of the Mithraeum was the long curve of the roof, for the Place of Mithras was mainly constructed underground. Despite this seeming contradiction for a religion based upon light, it made great sense. In the darkness of a subterranean Temple the awareness of the illumination was heightened, and could be controlled for greater impact.

As always the building was aligned with the rising and setting sun, East - West, though one came in from the West, entering first an anteroom, the walls of which are built from stone. It is long and thin, the ceiling some twelve feet above, a near perfect circular arch. This is a place of preparations, where celebrants don their robes, coloured and decorated according to their rank, and candidates await their initiations.

The open doorway to the main hall is flanked by depictions of the Torch Bearers. On the left is Cautes, dressed as always in bright yellow, he holds his torch upright and stands next to a tree in the full bloom of spring. On the right is Cautopates. He is clad in blue and grey, and holds his torch downwards. There is a tree full of fruit, and like his counterpart, he holds a small bow in his free hand.

The main hall is lit with many oil lamps, and the air carries the smell of the burning olive oil. A closer inspection shows that each lamp is decorated, some simply with a circled cross, and others with elaborate scenes from the life of Mithras. This is a common theme and set in the walls are niches for sacred art.

But as we enter, there is first a statue of Mithras being born from stone. In his right hand he holds a knife, the knife he will later use to slay the bull. His left hand holds a globe, signifying his dominion over the world. The globe is mark with the band of the zodiac, and that of the equatorial belt, on which lie the constellations. It is appropriate to genuflect here, to show your respect.

The long hall is lined with the praesepia or cribs. These long high benches are where members recline during the sacred feast. The stone of these praesepia is covered with thin embroidered mats. On one of them we see a scroll, a copy of 'The Golden Ass', by Lucius Apuleius. Behind this seating we see that each niche contains a relief, or a statue or mural. One of these we see is the lion headed god, a human figure with a lions head, his body bound tightly with a snake, whose head rests atop the lion's mane.

The floor is mosaic, and each of the seven ranks is indicated, together with their symbols, beginning with Corax a raven along with a cup and a caduceus, the staff of Mercury. A bridal veil with a diadem, and a lamp indicate the rank of Nymphus, the bride of Mithras. A soldiers kitbag, lance and helmet show the rank of Miles, associated with Mars. Next is Leo - the first rank of an adept has as its symbols the sistrum or sacred rattle, the thunderbolt of Zeus, and a fire shovel. For the rank of Perses there is a crescent moon, with an eight pointed star hung between it's curve, a scythe, and a harpe sword.

The two highest ranks are Heliodromus, with a riding crop, seven rayed nimbus and a torch and finally Pater, (Father) who has four symbols: a ring; a staff; a sickle; and a Phrygian cap.

All these symbols lead us to the altar, behind which is a painted relief showing the tauroctony.


Mithras wears a Phrygian cap. He kneels on a white bull, that he has hunted and ridden to exhaustion, before trapping it in a cave. With his left hand, he is holding it by the nostrils. He slashes its throat with a knife held in his right hand, this is the knife he was born with when he burst from a stone. As he slaughters the bull, Mithras is looking over his shoulder towards the figure of Sol - the Sun.

As we examine the scene we notice that Mithras is accompanied by Cautes and Cautopates. We can see that a dog and a snake are reaching up for the bull's blood, and that a scorpion has seized the bull's genitals. A raven is flying around or is sitting on the bull. Three ears of wheat grow from the bull’s tail.

Above the altar several beams of wood have been arranged to form a seven rayed sun, and then we notice the azure ceiling. This is marked out and decorated with many precious gems that show the constellations of the night sky. If we look closely, we see that there are several small holes in the ceiling. At various times of the year, these allow the light from specific constellations to shine through.

One final feature, is a small skylight at the far end of the hall. At midday on the Solstice, the light from the sun will shine through this and illuminate the altar.
© Copyright 2021 Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness (UN: adherennium at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Adherennium Dr of Phoolishness has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1019986-October-23rd---Saturday---Setting-Description