*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020744-30-Day-Blogging-Nov-3-2021
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Book · Community · #2226993
Just my opinions and outlook on life
#1020744 added November 3, 2021 at 2:03pm
Restrictions: None
30 Day Blogging-Nov 3, 2021
PROMPT November 3rd

You live in a tourist town. There's always an 'interesting' mix of visitors. But this year they are especially... different. In what way?


We are used to charter buses coming into our town of Gatlinburg, Tennessee. Many have older people that probably prefer not to drive anymore. Some are from senior communities or churches. They come equipped with their smart phones, walking sticks or canes and some have wheelchairs. It is beautiful here all year round but the fall in the Smoky Mountains is magical with lovely foliage. We have wonderful restaurants, candle making shops where you design your own, homemade fudge and taffy shops. There is a variety of specialty places to buy overly priced music boxes, mountain crafts and the usual cheaper souvenirs. A couple of Christmas shops are always packed this time of year.

I am sitting on a bench, just people watching, when I notice this group of elderly people are different from most. They have the same characteristics of most senior citizens. Like myself at 68, they are gray haired, have wrinkles and are dressed comfortably for the cool weather. But these people seem to have a real “spring in their step” as they disembark the bus. No one has to have an assist from their host. They aren’t hesitant in their moving around, all wear smiles and are happily speaking to their fellow passengers. They stand straight and appear more like children in their excitement to explore the town. Couples are holding hands and kissing like teenagers. I overhear one man say they are staying at the ski lodge and hope to rent skis for the slopes and go ice skating.

I am very intrigued by these people. Did they come from a Health Spa where they had managed to turn back time? I thought of the movie “Cocoon” where elderly people went swimming in a special pool and felt more energetic and younger. Of course that was actually a sci-fi movie where there were some kind of alien pods in the water.

As these lovely folks began to stride up Main Street to walk through stores, I reach out for one of the men that was alone.
“Excuse me, Sir, I couldn’t help but notice how energetic you and your friends are. Can you tell me your secret?”
He smiled, “You know, we are all from Virginia, a place called “Golden Town”. It is a senior community.”

He continued, “we are just your average older folks with aches and pains but something strange happened on our way here. We stopped for an unscheduled kind of Autumn Festival in Cherokee. Now I would have thought Native Americans would be running things but it was a caravan of what looked like gypsies. It was very interesting. I’ll tell you what, I wrote down a little poem about the place. We all drank from this punch and as the hours have gone be by we began to feel better and better. I don’t know how to explain it but I hope it lasts.”

Autumn's majestic trees,
dressed in dancing leaves;
painted with crimson, cinnamon,
whisper golden dreams.

Aromas arise from black pots,
simmering over scented coals.
The smell is apples, cloves,
spices and tart candy hearts.

Stirred by exotic gypsies,
clothed in majestic gowns,
of scarlet, turquoise, purple velour.
Maybe Cupid adds a heavenly punch.

It is said if two partake
of this erotic recipe of punch.
They feel euphoric, a sensual rush;
anxious to fall into eternal love.

"Darling,
It is autumn once again,
the wind is rising;
the air is wild with leaves.

Listen to the magical wind,
It is whispering our future.
We need to drink once again."



© Copyright 2021 Redtowrite (UN: kat47 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Redtowrite has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020744-30-Day-Blogging-Nov-3-2021