*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020971-Confessions-of-a-Slacker
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2232903
My blog, where I store those thoughts rattling around my brain
#1020971 added November 6, 2021 at 12:57pm
Restrictions: None
Confessions of a Slacker
30 Day Blog Challenge Day 6:

You work alone from home, logged on to your work PC. One day you log on, and start your routine. You look at the clock on your desktop and eight hours have passed, but you have no memory of getting any tasks done. Tell us what might have happened to you during those eight hours.


I have never in my life felt so personally attacked. Eight hours with no tasks done? Ha, that's child's play. I can do ten hours with no productivity and not even break a sweat. Twelve if I'm feeling ambitious.

Wait, how many hours passed...? Does it count if I spent a full day on this post? Is... is that being productive?

Honestly before this whole blog challenge it was a struggle to get anything done, wrestling with my sluggish senses and unsure where to begin as a cursor flashes on the screen. If there's one thing this place has taught me, it's not to doubt yourself. Take that step forward. A leap of faith, trusting that your abilities will catch you should prose falter and grammar fail.

I'm the type to write out a sentence, squint at it for a few minutes, erase it and write it again until it sounds good enough to move on. Don't do this, folks. It's a terrible habit and only makes things harder when deadlines come creeping by.

For the first time, I managed to bust out 4k words in a single day. Not even counting blog posts, emails and comments on silly newsfeed pictures. That's a mammoth achievement for me. In the past I would pick up steam and then lose all momentum, crashing to a painful halt. Now I'm pumping along as this steam engine races on tracks that have never felt so squeaky clean and rust free.

Thanks for keeping me motivated WdC. That goes for everyone on here, I couldn't have asked for a better gang of wordsmiths to joke around and share insight with.

It's so fascinating to me that we are all just faceless voices in the machine, electronic specters that share backlit thoughts and digital dreams, hiding behind masks of colorful avatars yet unafraid to be ourselves. How ironic, that some of my closest friends are people I'll never meet.

Do you ever think about those usernames who've logged off for the last time, never to return? I wonder if their thoughts turn back to this place, if they look fondly back on these webpages, if they remember me.

We're all just atoms, colliding together in the endless expanse. I try to make each impact a positive one, hoping that I can spread that tiny spark of energy across the stratosphere, one interaction at a time. Will it work, I wonder? Is there someone sharing that warmth with a stranger, passing it on to the next molecule in this infinite universe? I like to think so. I don't want to imagine any other outcome.

© Copyright 2021 Ray Scrivener (UN: rig0rm0rtis at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Ray Scrivener has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1020971-Confessions-of-a-Slacker