*Magnify*
    May     ►
SMTWTFS
   
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021512-I-opt-out---30DBC
Rated: 18+ · Book · Community · #2257034
Birthday Bash Relay. Excited on Second Place! Now for various WDC contests and activities
#1021512 added November 13, 2021 at 1:03am
Restrictions: None
I opt out - #30DBC
PROMPT November 13th

A Science-Fiction type prompt tonight. In your world, all citizens are temporarily neutered at birth. When you want to become a parent, you must prove to the government that you’ll be suitable caretakers and providers before you are allowed to procreate. How do you 'prove to the government' that you'll be a good caretaker/parent.



Science Fiction? Jim, this is something I wished EVERY DAY when I was working regularly in a school. "Who let you be parents?" "Why weren't you neutered at birth?" is something I often thought while trying to smile politely and tell someone that no, four boiled sweets weren't sufficient for a kid's lunch box, or that schoolwork meant having books and pencils – every day, not rarely.

Parenting isn't easy. It's a very intense lifelong commitment.

It is not to be gone into for selfish reasons - to feel complete as a man / woman. It is not to be gone into to save a failing marriage (he'll stay for the baby). It is not to be gone into because society expects it. It is not to be gone into because in your old age, the kid'll look after you.

Parenting is to be gone into because you want to bring a being into the world who will take humanity into the future, and you'll give that little being the roots to grow and the wings to fly, and then let her / him grow and fly.

Those roots are made of day to day mundane tasks. Milk bottles. Diapers. Laundry. Visits to the dentist. Those wings are made of a lot of thought, concern and care. Bedtime stories. Shared walks. values imparted by deed and word. Basically it means constantly making parenting the priority, keeping the child's interests at heart and balancing one's own interests with these.

Parenting is not easy.

I am not a parent. I don't think I'd make a good one. In this sci-fi world, I'd choose to stay neutered (as I've chosen to stay single in the real world). I respect those with the courage to take it on. Maybe I'll have your kid in my class. Maybe I'll be your kid's favourite teacher. But I won't choose to be a parent.

© Copyright 2021 THANKFUL SONALI Now What? (UN: mesonali at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
THANKFUL SONALI Now What? has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://www.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1021512-I-opt-out---30DBC